Brakes are HOT

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaydawg74

Reaction score
Has anyone had to grind down the tabs on their new pads to get them to work right?

I installed new brake pads on my 01' today and had a bear of a time getting the new pads to fit into the slides/bracket. When I drove later on, the brakes, especially the driver side were HOT. VERY hot! I could smell them burning as I went down the road and when I stopped to check it out, I could feel the heat coming off of the rotor. Later on, they began so squeal.

So I'm thinking that I should take them apart and grind the tabs down a bit so they actually SLIDE in the slide instead of having to be tapped in with a hammer! I probably should hone or sand down the rotors too.

I used new slides. Did not do anything with the rotors. Used Wagner Thermo Quiet pads QC833 Ceramic. Greased the slides.

Any thoughts? Am I missing something else?

I compressed the pistons fully. Didn't see any problems with them. The truck is stopping great. Calipers seem to be working well.

You either have the wrong pads, or perhaps they had a burr on the tab that was causing the pads stick/bind and were not allowing the caliper and pads to float/slide. That may have caused the pads to drag on the rotor too much and that will generate a lot of heat.

I also recommend that you lubricate all the tabs and sliding parts with a high temperature brake grease. Brake squealing is caused by vibration through a non-lubricated, dry metal-to-metal contact and that's the first tip off that something is sticking.

...Rich

the pads I get for the wife's Milan are that way- always had to grind them. check your sliders, make sure they're free. wire brush behind your anti-rattle clips on the caliper brackets.

Had a Ranger that had same prob......needed new calipers....pistons were stuck

in the bores.

Watchit, Jerra....I'll be married 55 years come July!:grin:

Last edited by a moderator:
My rear pads/calipers on my 04 did the same. The Calipers were not relaxing after the breaks were pressed a few times. I also had a hard time getting the calipers compressed all the way for new pads and rotors. I then replaced the calipers and everything worked normally after that.

I bought the truck used, so no idea if the calipers were still original or not. Had 104k miles when I changed them.

Also Advanced Auto parts had the wrong Calipers in there system and they had to search different year/model to find the correct pair.

Turned out to be the driver side caliper. Swapped it out, bled em', Ground down all four pads. Running like a champ now!

Thanks guys!

Latest posts