Brake questions and information...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Schindler

1st Gen Owner
V6 Engine
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have recently aquired a set of 2001 Sport Trac 4x4 hubs for a brake upgrade for my wifes Explorer.

I took the wheels off her Explorer and tried to put them on my Trac. They are a no fit. The 15" wheels will not fit over the Trac's brakes.

I know some 2001 Tracs had 15" wheels, but I know for a fact, 15" Explorer wheels will not fit on a Trac. I think the Sport Trac has a different wheel offset then the Explorer does, that is why 15" wheels from an Explorer will not fit, but Trac's did come with 15" wheels.

This is not the first set of 15" wheels that did not fit over my Trac's brakes.

OK, this question is geared towards those that have swapped out the Ranger Edge spindles.

Did you need Ranger calipers or did you use the stock Trac calipers? The brake pads are the same with all three aplications, but the rotors on the Trac are larger than the Explorer.

Checking part numbers does not help since all three vehicles have different part numbers.

My brother has 16" Trac wheels on his 1999 Explorer, so it gets the brake upgrade. Not only does it handle great, it will stop great too.

Any information from anyone that installed Ranger Edge spindles will help me a bunch. If you know the answer, thet will help too.

Tom

I know Rangers got bigger brakes in 2001, I'm not sure about Explorers. If you think about it, all Tracs with 15" wheels have THE SAME 15" wheel. Ditto the newer Rangers I see on the dealer's lot.

So to fit a factory 15" wheel I guess you need the right 15" wheel.

I have a feeling that the 15" wheels that came stock on the Trac have a different offset just for the Trac.

My brother has a 1999 Explorer. He is running 16" trac wheels on it. I had some 1 1/4" spacers for Theresa's Explorer. When we installed the spacers on Larry's Explorer, the wheels looked like they stuck out like some ghetto ride. You know the guys that buy the wrong offset wheel and the wheels stick out 2" past the fenders.

We put those same spacers on Theresa's Explorer with Explorer 15" wheels and it lined up with the fender.

So, I think it would be safe to assume, the Trac requires a different offset wheel than the Explorer does.

Anyone have an answer to the original question at hand?

Tom

Latest posts