Brake maintenance

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Denis Bourque

Reaction score
I plan on servicing my brakes myself soon. Do the calipers on the 04 4x4 require a tool to back the calipers off and if so is it standard? I know my Taurus did.

D

I have an 04 4x2 but have always used a large "c" clamp to retract the pistons and just a socket/wrench to loosen the caliper bolts. Sorry, dont remember the size off hand. Brakes are cake to do, good luck.

No special tools,Just that the ST is a dual piston caliper.... you need the OLD brake pad and a c clamp or the dual piston caliper tool...

Todd Z

I've put a large flat screwdriver between the inner pad and the rotor and pried it back. Never had any issues with that. You get the piston compressed before you take the caliper off that way.

Perfect.!

My pathfinder was a single piston, but pretty well the same deal. I just remember that on my Taurus I needed to kinda screw the piston back to replace the pads and wasn't sure if it was a Ford design or just on that model.

Thanks!

D

Latest posts