Brake line leak

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Olivia Snyder

Reaction score
I got a '94 ranger that has a pretty serious brake line leak near the gas tank. What's the best way to go about repairing this? I have heard that compression fittings are a no no. Is there an easier and SAFE way other than replace the whole line?

If the line is tightly between the gas tanks and frame rail you can simply cut the line where it's accessable and place a new piece of line in it's place leaving the old line there until you have the time to remove it. Go to te parts store and get a piece of brake line long enough for you application (better to get longer and just cut extra off), if you don't have a flaring tool kit you can rent one from most parts stores cheaply. buy a couple fittings, brake line and a big bottle of brake fluid for bleeding the lines.

:banana:

Just remember it is a DOUBLE flair not a single flair..

Todd Z

Auto part stores sell misc bulk line with fittings at both ends.

Figure out the length you need and TAKE the removed fitting from your vehicle with you.

Some are metric, some are not.

By taking the fittings with you, you will get both the correct line size as well as the right thread.

If you live where they salt the winter roads. I would replace the line. Tiny rust pits will not seal well with patching in piece work. I have seen double flares fail. From the line being thin.

Latest posts