Brake fluid, Power Steering fluid, change

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

O W

Reaction score
Brake fluid can get old and eventually cause brake pedal fade in a high mileage vehicle. I found that out once on an older used vehicle. I figured a good brake bleeding would fix the problem but it didn't. I then opened the bleeders pumped it all out, added new fluid and did bleeding operation again. That did it, good as new. Now on all my vehicles I have used a turkey baster. Every time I change oil I remove the fluid from the reservoirs with the baster and top off with new. Although this will never give you all new fluid -- if this is done on regular intervals -- it will keep the brake & power steering fluids fresh enough to never need replacing. IMPORTANT -- DO NOT REMOVE ALL FLUID FROM THE RESERVOIR OR YOU WILL GET AIR IN THE SYSTEM. Always leave fluid covering the outlets on the reservoir.

Yup,

most members open their bleeders when pushing back calipers and bleed the system at every or every other pad change....

makes a world of difference !!!

Todd Z

I put a vacuum pump on my bike's bleeders and sucked the system dry. Then filled the reserviors (brakes and clutch) and flushed them, then filled them again and bled them good. I could not believe all the crap that came out of the brake calipers. The clutch was just dark. Feels good to have clear DOT4 in all three systems.

I assume I could bleed my trac the same way-- instead of pumping it out- just suck it out with a vacuum pump at each bleeder.

I have always advocated flushing the brake fluid at every brake job or eery 2 years, which ever comes first.

I don't recommend "Sucking out all the fluid" as this can lead to air in the master cylinder that can be difficult to remove unless the master cylinder is removed and benched bled, which makes the whole process much harder.

Just keep the master cylinder reservoir filled and bleed the brake at each wheel starting from the furthest from the master cylinder (right rear) to the closest (left front). Top off the master cylinder after bleeding each wheel. If you have a brake bleeder, that's fine, otherswise just get an assistant to pump the brake...even a kid can do that as long as they can reach the pedal and push it all the way to the floor...:grin:

I have never heard of flushing brake fluid since there is no way to bleed the system? You can only add fluid to the pump reservoir. Power steering systems are self-bleeding by simply turning the wheel lock-to-lock .

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
I use a Vacula bleeder, purchased through Amazon. It makes short work of an important job. Brake fluid ranks with differential gear lube for most commonly ignored car fluids.

Every oil change I use a small vaccuum pump to remove all the brake fluid possible in the resevor. Then refill with new fluid. The resevor fluid does darken some, but that is why the change is done. Same with the power steering fluid. The power steering fluid gets circulated and by removing as much as possible every 4,000 miles it stays a nice bright red. Be sure to use the correct fluid. My 2001 does not use power steering fluid, it uses a tranny fluid.

Dennis

Shellyurb,

A $2 turkey baster works just as good a fancy vaccuum pump...but for flushing the brakes, that is not even necessary since you will be flushing all the old fluid out of the system through the bleed valves at each wheel. Just keep refilling the reservoir with fresh fluid until you get fresh clean fluid at each wheel, and never let the reservoir run dry or you will suck air into the master cylinder.

I have never had to flush a power steering unit since most use Auto Trans fluid or in some cases special fluid like Honda does. Brake fluid attracts moisture which can corrode brake parts, especially calipers and wheel cylinder. Transmission fluid or special power steering fluids do not attract moisture like brake fluid and will not cause power steering parts to corrode. The fluid might get dark over time, but it does not cause any harm to the power steering pump, or the steering gear/rack & pinion.

While it might be beneficial to change the power steering fluid every 100K miles or so, flushing power steering fluid every 4K miles is excessive maintenance and is probably far more anal than anything I have ever heard of in my 50 years of working on cars...Kind of like the obsessive people who wash their hands every 10 minutes? But, of course you are free to do what every you want to your truck if that makes you feel better.

...Rich