brake fluid leak

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
has anyone had any trouble with their brake fluid leaking? every now and then, my brake light will come on because my brake fluid has leaked somewhere and reached a level below the recommended level and triggers the light. there are no apparent puddles under my truck, none of the hoses are wet and i've replaced the cap thinking it may have leaked from the vibrations of the engine. the only other thing i can think of is a leak in the master cylinder because that is the only place i can't get in to check.

has anyone heard of this before? any remedies?

thanks.

I think your pads are wearing, causing the fluid to drop. If there were a leak, you would know it or be in the hospital from the crash that resulted from it.

@ DoctorCAD: i just replaced the front brakes last year. i've looked them over just recently, but they could still be the cause of this problem.

@Arturo G.: i have not, and i'm not aware of which sensor color i have. is the recall for all years and models? i have an '05 adrenaline.

Mickey, sounds like you may have fluid leaking in the break booster, this doesn't often happen but it can. The master cylinder usually leaks out side on the front of the booster. If you have done all the external checks possible and there are no visible leaks, that is where you should check. Since you have the '05 you don't have drum breaks with the cylinder in the drum which leaks because of the seal wearing over time. If you are mechanically minded just replace the booster. You may say this is a 3-5 spanner job.

Good luck.

Latest posts