Brake controller install

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bo Loo

Reaction score
Anyone ever install a brake controller before? Is it something easy enough to do? That's all I have left in my towing project. BTW I purchased a trailer light kit that takes the existing 4 prong and converts it to a 4 prong + 7 blade RV hookup. It has a wire for the brake controller connection.

I just put mine in. I bought a Prodigy brake controller. The controller is easy to install. For mine the red wire went to the switched side of the brake pedal(the wire that only has voltage when you step on the brakes), a black wire for power. I added a 30 amp auto reset circuit breaker. A white wire for grounding. And a blue wire to give the braking signal to the trailer. On the 7 spade side it had the brown, yellow, and green wires that were conected to the exsistig 4way for tail and turn signals. White for chasis ground. Purple for reverse lights. Black for 12 volt source.( here I used a 87a relay that used a swited signal source from the ignition and the 12 volt source was taken from the in bed cigerete lighter thing. And a blue wire that connected to the blue wire from the brake controller. Let me know if you need any picturs to help you out.

I have the instructions to my brake controller posted in my library so feel free to take a look. ALL brake controllers have the exact same wire connections.

Just hook it up to the wiring harness that was in the glove compartment from the factory and PLUG IT IN! That is all there is to it!

My '07 was a piece of cake!

Gavin, his Trac is an 02; the Gen 1 STs were not supplied with a factory brake controller wiring harness like the 07/08s so it's not as straight forward.

do a search with towing in the subject, this has been discussed recently... there are photo's in my lib showing my install.

i ran a 12/3 cable from an extenstion cord from up front to out rear for the brakes, +12v, and ground...

Latest posts