Bouncy ST

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Art G

Reaction score
I don't know what to think:unsure: I have an 05 XLT 4x4 ST with 60K miles on them and I can't understand why they bounce so much with just little uneven pavement and going to any driveway. This is my 3rd ST (02, 03 & 05) and all of them seems to act the same way. Is there any upgrades to remedy to reduce the bouncy effect. My wife drives an 04 EB Explorer and it rides better than the ST.

Thanks in advance.

Artstang

new shocks...front and rear sway bars will give you a completely new ride...i dont have the sway bars just upgraded shocks and it made a big difference...the stock shocks are garbage

It is already equipped with factory front and rear sway bars. But what shocks do you recommend.

The OEM shocks are bad from the word go...

At a minimum, replace then with quality aftermarket shocks, do NOT buy them from Ford or you will have the exact same issue.

Also, as mentioned above, to really feel and major improvement install an aftermarket rear stabilizer.

you will not believe the improvement. And if you tow anything at all, the stabilizer is a virtual must...

Thanks guys...I knew the OEM shocks has to go, but wanted to find out what most of the ST community is using. Now I got ya'll excellent inputs.

artstang, We are not talking about the factory (joke) front and rear sway bars. We are saying to upgrade to the Explorer Express rear sway bar or the ADDCO rear sway bar, and possibly the ADDCO front sway bar which comes with new front end links. If you do not upgrade the front sway bar to the ADDCO bar get new front end links from AutoZone which are the ones from MOOG sold under the AutoZone name with same part no. inside as MOOG.

As far as shocks, what seems to be liked over the year here are the Monroe Sensa-Trac / Rancho RS5000 or the Monroe Reflex / Rancho RSX. Bilstein and KYB also make excellent shocks too. I know that really narrows it down, but you will be satisfied with what ever you choose.

My 03 has Monroe Relfex shocks. Same shocks as the Rancho 9000 I think....

I had them on since 33K miles and my ST has 63 now. Still rides like a champ!

Art,

Feel free to contact me, I can direct you to exactly what you need and get you great pricing !!!

Todd Z

I will replace the shocks first with aftermarket ones as suggested and recommended by those who responded. If the ride doesn't improve, then I will upgrade to new sway bars.

Artstang

Don't cheap out and get Monroe-Matics, either. I did that. All it did was return me to the original equipment condition, which is still a little bouncy. At least it's not all over the road like it was starting to get with the worn-out factory shocks. Monroe Sensa-Tracs or Monroe Reflex are supposed to be much better shocks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Monroe Reflex is availlable at Summit Racing for $45.95 ea and Roncho RS5000 are $45.99ea. I am leaning towards Roncho.

Artstang

Thanks Roger. I think I will consider replacing the sway bar end links with MOOG. We have several AutoZone in the area. I try not to go extreme

Dreman, thanks for letting me know about the Monroe-Matics.

Art,

In the "Ride and Handling" category of the Projects section of this site are several projects on how to replace the shocks and both the front and rear sway bars (Click the link below). At a minimum, replace the shocks. You won't believe the difference in the ride/handling!

P.S.

I just looked at your profile... Thanks for your service, Shipmate!:)

Post some pictures of your Shelby and Mach 1 when you get a chance.:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
The replacement shocks will make a substantial difference.

That said, if you get a chance, ride in a Trac that has the after market rear stabilizer bar. I think you will find the difference truly amazing.

As others have said...

New shocks like the Rancho RSXs or Monroe Reflexes will give the ST a 200% better ride. If you then want to go for the stabilizers too, go ahead, but you really only need to replace the shocks to get a steady, more sure-footed and safer ride.

It's criminal the shocks that rolled off the factory on the Gen 1 STs.

TJR

Latest posts