Both disc?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jordan Tremblay

Reaction score
Are the front and the rear brakes on the 2004 both disc brakes or are the rear brakes drum brakes?

Also, I was looking at ordering brake pads and they gave me two options for my 2004, how do I know which one I have?

2004 FORD EXPLORER SPORT TRAC 4.0L 245cid V6 FI (E)

or

2004 FORD EXPLORER SPORT TRAC 4.0L 245cid V6 FLEX FI (K)

Thanks

-Jordan

2001 and 2002 Trac's have Disc/Drum.

In 2003, Ford went with a Disc/Disc setup.

You have Disc front and rear.

The difference they are showing you is that you either have the standard engine, or the flex fuel engine.

Tom

If mine were a flex fuel, then it would have that leaf symbol on the tailgate correct?

Mine does not have that symbol that my freinds 2002 ranger had so I guess mine it not flex fuel.

Both my Trac and my wife's Explorer are flex fuel. They don't have any markings on the outside, but when you open the fuel door, there's a sticker there telling you it can run on E85. I tried the E85 in her Explorer one time. I can drive from Dallas to just north of Shreveport and back into Shreveport on 3/4 tank of regular unleaded. I barely made it to Greenwood, a town just between Shreveport and the Texas state line, before I had to fill up. I got 14mpg on the highway with that stuff! I normally get 20-21 on the highway with regular unleaded! :angry: Until they can boost the fuel economy on E85, I won't be buying it again.

Roger,

The reason they make E85 vehicles is because it is a loophole.

Technically, you got 93 MPG in GASOLINE with E85. The Feds have a loophole that says "Per gallon of GASOLINE". Since E85 is only 15% GASOLINE, and 85% alcohol (That is not considered gasoline) you drove 14 miles on 19.2 ounces of GASOLINE.

The Auto Makers can boost the CAFE requirements without changing anything.

Tom

My 04 ST is a flex and it used the same brake pads in the front as my non flex 03....

The 04 and 03 both have front and rear disc..

Todd Z

Yeah, just comfirmed on RockAuto.com that both of them use the same brake pads.

Both the 2004 FORD EXPLORER SPORT TRAC 4.0L 245cid V6 FI (E) and the 2004 FORD EXPLORER SPORT TRAC 4.0L 245cid V6 FLEX FI (K) both use the same brake pads.

I also walked outside and confirmed that my 04 ST is a Flex vehicle.

Thanks for your help.

Be careful when saying your vehicle is a Flex fuel vehicle unless your vin number confirms it.

I just recently ready a thread where the gas cap said flex fuel but was not the case with there vin number. So some ford assemblers must have not been on there A game that day. Also some vehicles lack the identification but there vin number says they are FFV.

Start reading at post #24

Latest posts