Boat Launch

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean M 2

Reaction score
Used the ST has it was intended this weekend, pulling my parents 24ft pontoon boat for them. ST did awesome up the hills with the load, and never lost traction on the launch ramp, even in just 2wd. As i always say, the ST is the best vehicle ever, I'm disappointed there wont be a 3rd generation. Pics are below.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Nice !! did you need to set the front tires on the water ?? I try to avoid that if I can..

Todd Z

Yes unfortunately, the boat wouldn't float off the trailer if I didn't back in at least that far. Why do you try to avoid it? Potential loss of traction when trying to pull out of the water?

I would think for braking reasons. The water/moss is slippery and backing down the ramp you might continue to slide backwards if the front tires contact the water, especially if the ramp is steep and doesnt have rough surface for traction.

Cool Pics though !! :supercool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Add a "third wheel" trailer jack, using a cable or rope to launch, and chock the ST wheels.

Another benefit is you will have to disconnect the trailer light connector. (No shorting possible)

Only drawback is this method requires extra people to launch.

Your Trac wheels and undercarriage will stay dry. (Brakes, bearings, exhaust, etc.)

Gotcha, yeah I wasn't too worried about being dragged into the lake. I backed in very slowly, but I can see how that could be an issue on a steep ramp. This was my first time launching a boat, so I have a few things to learn.

That pontoon is the exact design of my dads starcraft. He just sold it last year. It was 20yrs old with a 2yr old 90 HP yamaha motor. Well taken care of and stored in a shed. Book on it was $3700 complete. Motor had maybe 100hrs on it. Motor cost $12k 2yrsago. He sold it for $3500, what a loss.:banghead:

We also tow and launch useing the ST. Never a problem. We are very jealous. it's into June and we haven't had weather nice enough to even uncover the pontoon boat. Last 24 hours we had 1.67 inches of rain. JEEZE!

Glad to see you got some nice weather.

[Broken External Image]:

SWAT boat in background for President Obama's X-Mas vacation security.

But man, we pay the price to live here. LOL

Latest posts