big problem!!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lance Cann

Reaction score

Hello everyone,

I hope you can help me out here! I have a 2004 trac and this morning it is -49 with the wind chill here in lovely Canada. Went out to start the truck, hit the remote unlock button.. nothing.. uh oh. tried the keypad on the door, nothing... tried the key in the lock... WON'T TURN!! in either door!!

feels like the wrong key.. I have never used the keys in the locks, never had a need to. however, the key works in the tailgate lock and the tonneau cover.. so wtf? How do I get into this thing to see what's going on? need help on this one guys!

I got into it, took a mini torch out and held it to the lock on the door and got the key to turn, however, the locking system is completely dead.. even the buttons inside the doors don't do anything. Keypad doesn't light up... nothing. any idea if this could be a fuse or something?

everything worked fine yesterday when I parked it.

off to work now... very late..

One of two things are wrong. You either left something on draining your battery or your battery needs replaced. Neither of these things are "big problems".

Tom

I can't tell from your second post if you started the Trac...you say you went to work...but did not say if it was in the Trac or not.

The battery could be dead, OR a terminal is loose, or what ever....

Need to jump start the truck and take it from there...

Todd Z

I agree, missing a key component here...

Did the Trac start and you went to work in it, or did you take a different vehicle???

Wonder if he had gone to the car wash the night before? Doesn't take much to freeze stuff up at that temp, along with maybe a marginal battery. If you are close enough to the house for an extension cord I've used the wife's hair dryer to free up a frozen key lock. Man, -49. I thought it got cold in upstate NY. :eek:

sorry, was in a bit of a panic to get to work when replying to my first post. I heated up the door lock and got the door open and the interior light came on which shocked me because I also thought dead battery... So when the light came on, I tried the ignition and it started right up. Power locks still not working at this point, after I got to work I tried the locks again and everything was all of a sudden now working fine. So it is almost like the "power lock brain" was frozen somehow because the remote, the keyless entry pad, and the lock switches inside the truck were dead till she warmed up. It is a mystery to me, but I hope it does not continue!

Yup up here in Edmonton Alberta they recorded -54 degrees celsius on saturday night.... and its supposed to be -1 on thursday. As they say, if you dont like the weather in Alberta, just wait 10 minutes.

My truck was frozen solid as well, but i could still get in. If you're locks are frozen then I would heat up your key, get into a heated carwash and dump a bunch of WD40 into the keyhole. as for the battery, just boost it once you get in... and don't forget to plus in your block heater at night

in that kind of weather is there car theft ???

could leave the pass or 1 rear door unlocked to get in..

Todd Z

It does if the locks didn't work, they were probbaly frozen. The electrical wires in the doors might have froze as well. I've always used graphite to get the key lock to work in the cold, never use WD-40 though, my brother found out the hard way that it freezes too.

Sounds like the locks are frozen. At -49 there are not many good lubes for locks, etc that work at that temperature. I don't think even WD-40 is good at that temperaute. You need something that will displace all the moisture in the locks. Best bet is to get it in a warm garage.

...Rich

bought a squirter of lock de-icer for $.97 at work today, hopefully this will let me get in if they freeze again.

So far all day today the power locks seem to be working as normal... will see what happens in the A.M

bought a squirter of lock de-icer for $.97 at work today, hopefully this will let me get in if they freeze again.

So far all day today the power locks seem to be working as normal... will see what happens in the A.M

whatever you do, do not keep the lock de icer in the truck.... Trust me, it wont help:blink:

Latest posts