BIG Maintenance

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Bendfeldt

Reaction score
Hello all. I have an 07 ST Limited with a 4.6. Also have K&N cold air filter and cat back

MagnaFlow muffler. I am just turning 70,000 miles. The brakes are pulsating now so I guess I either need the discs turned or replaced. I've never been real happy with the brakes so I guess now would be the best time to change them out. Looking for advise on better pads for a more firm and shorter stopping distance and any other things that may apply. I also have suspension question. At what time or mileage should I be changing the shocks or other suspension parts? It seems as though I feel the pot holes more than I previously did. I am also going to have the plugs (two piece) changed at the dealership. Comments??

I have the original ss exhaust system cat back for free if anyone is interested. I posted it a long time ago and Todd Z was going to take it but must have changed his mind.

Thanks for any help

Benny

I like NAPA's Ultra Premium rotors and their ceramic pads. The rotors are thicker and heavier, hold up well, and don't cost an arm and a leg. The ceramic pads have good feel and don't make a lot of dust.

Gen 2's have struts not shocks so they tend to hold up better. Mine are still fine at 117k. Just for kicks I asked at Sears when I had another car there and they quoted me a little over $800 for four.

I would also flush the coolant and tranny if you haven't done that, transfer case lube if it is 4wd, and both axles. You will have to have the front axle done by a shop with a suction machine if it is 4wd, the rear has a drain plug and is fairly easy to do yourself, or a shop can do it fairly cheaply since you don't have to take the cover off.

No prob. I can give you my maintenance schedule if it helps. It's a little overkill on changing fluids but I do most of it myself and my stuff runs forever.

Annually

Clean K&N air filter

Every 5000 miles

Change oil, Pennzoil Platinum and Motorcraft filter

Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner

Every 30,000 miles

Fuel filter

Transfer case lube (I use Mobil 1 ATF)

Rear axle lube (I use Mobil 1 75w-140)

Every 50,000 miles

Flush coolant

Front axle lube (I go to the Valvoline Qwicky Lube for this)

Transmission flush

Spark plugs (I use NGK Iridiums, had good luck with them, just put a set in my Focus tonight, runs vastly better)

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately I scrapped the idea of having exhausts made. Just not worth it with the kits out there.

Too bad you weren't closer, We could do the work here, save you a ton of $$$

Todd Z

Latest posts