Better Headlight Bulbs For Gen2 STA?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carey Frennier

Reaction score
So I'm looking for a brighter light for my STA. Something that isn't as yellow. More of a white light. No blue.

I've read that the STA bulb is different than a reg gen2? Seems odd but figured I'd ask.

Any recommendations?

Sylvania SilverStars would be my choice. They make them in the regular SilverStars or the slightly more expensive Ultra SilverStars. They give a very bright white light without the blue-ish tint. Don't know if the STA's had differnt type of bulb or not?

...Rich

I've tried 5 or 6 different brands (including Silverstars) and I haven't found anything better than PIAA. My oldest pair is 2 years old and going strong. They're spendy but they look great and don't burn out within a year like my Silverstars did every time.

Silver Star Ultras, but they only last about a year or so.

Mine lasted for almost two years before one burned out. See the above linked thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used the Luminics brand of bulb in all applications. Still have them in my fogs. Been 3 years and no burn out yet. They are the "Titanium Ultra White" bulbs and burn around 5K. I think the headlights (H13) were about $60 for a pair. The fogs (H10) were less than $50. Around $47 if I remember correctly. Just google "luminics" and you'll get the manufacturer, distributors and proper fitment for your truck. Bob

I think SilverStar bulb life is a factor of keeping them clean when you install them. Oil from your fingers will severely shorten the life of the bulb. I always wipe mine down with an alcohol wipe just incase someone at the factory touched them.

The other factor is how much you use your headlights. DRL's and a lot of nighttime driving will shorten the bulb life as well.

The final factor is manufacturing defects. I have purchased compact flourescent bulbs for my house that had 5-7 year expected life spans and had them go out in just a few months.

I know that several people complained here when the SilverStars first came out and they contacted Sylvania and they were given free replacement bulbs...I don't know what the warranty is on their bulbs but they do stand behind their products to keep their customers happy.

As I stated in an earlier post...I have had the same set of SilverStars that I transfered from my 2001 Sport Trac to my 2003 Sport Trac, and they were still working when I traded the truck in 2008, so I know they had at least 6 years on them.

....Rich

I installed a set of SilverStar Ultras about 2 weeks ago. Noticeably brighter than stock, to me. The back of the package had a bar graph comparison listing a couple of items, and of 5 bars only showed 1 bar for life expectancy as I recall. I bought them at a good price and there was a rebate, so we'll see how long they last.

Sylvania's, Auto Zone or Advance Auto websites can help with part numbers.

I've got the SilvertStar Ultras in my Gen 1 truck. Had them about 3 months. Very pleased!! But even with these bulbs I think the headlights on the Gen 1 suck!! My wife's '04 Explorer shines light much better, especially with the SilverStars in it!!

But even with these bulbs I think the headlights on the Gen 1 suck!! My wife's '04 Explorer shines light much better, especially with the SilverStars in it!!

All about the design of the reflector and siperment lense.

I upgraded the wiring in my '94 stang. I put 80/100watt hi-lo capsules in. OEM is 55/65watt. Very little difference.

Took them out and put them in a '93 dodge shadow. Major difference.

Eddie, I agree totally about the design of the housing being the main difference. That was my point.:) But I will say the SS Ultras in my Sport Trac have helped significantly get the most out of less then great headlamp housings. :) Now if I could just get to the bottom of my occassional erratic idle issue!!

If my head lights got any better, the people coming at me would be blinded. I love the stock lights with my Gen 2 '10.

Just installed Sylvania Silverstar Ultras that I bought through Amazon for $60. Easy fifteen minute job. Just came in from 10 minute test hop - can't say that I notice much difference. Will continue to monitor, but I'm an Old Fart, so don't do that much night driving.

Latest posts