Best Tranny Fluid? Any suggestions

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael A 2

Reaction score
Hello folks, will be doing a tranny flush on my ST this weekend was wondering input from folks like Todd Z, Stonemeiser, or Cayman or any ST members regarding which Tranny Fluid would be best suited for my 2003 Ford Explorer ST. Any input/suggestions would be highly appreciated. Tanks in advance :)

Most oil companies make a Mercon-V compatible transmission fluid Some companies like Royal Purple make a 100% synthetic verson of Mercon-V. Some companies, including MotorCraft (Ford) make a semi-synthetic Merconv-V. I prefer a 100% synthetic Mercon-V because it is able to withstand more heat, which is the enemy of any automatic transmission.

...Rich

DEALER ONLY merc V

Todd Z

YES TODD! Only use the motorcraft merc V!!! My truck is at about 110 and i had used the valvoline, and i had flairs and shudders every gear. Since going back to motorcraft NO Shudder and very few flairs only when around freezing! The motorcraft is the only stuff good for the long haul! Todd helped me with this,and i think i saved my tranny!

Thanks Todd!:D

Andy

Personally, I use AMSOIL tranny fluid. 71,000 miles and not a hint of any flares or anything. I am happy.

I don't use AMSOIL because I think it is the best fluid. The reason why I use it is to keep peace in the family. Dad is an AMSOIL distributer and he says it is the best so to keep him off my back, I use AMSOIL Tranny fluid (I change it once a year, while dad says I don't need to) and I change my oil once a year.

Tom

:cool:Whoops. Misfired.

I agree with stonemiser. I looked into Royal Purple and Amsoil and the cheapest I could get it is 7.99 a quart. (And it seemed a hassle to get).

I got valvoline Merc V at the local Advanced auto for $2.59 a quart. And it was easy, walked in, took off shelf, checked out some other stuff (I like to browse) and paid. Easy.

My shifting improved with the fresh clean fluid, which I think is key. You need to weigh the cost/benefit I don't think the price of the RP and Ams is worth that hefty price tag.

Later,

The Hawk:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
I can speak to Dad and I know he could get a better price then that $7.99/qt The mark-up on AMSOIL is pretty steep. Gotta pay for that pyramid paying systems.

LOL

Tom

Latest posts