Bersa firearms

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacob Dryer

Reaction score
Does anyone own a bersa firearm? I'm considering a Bersa Thunder .380 as my new concealed carry weapon. I'd have to drive 2 hours just to touch one, and then I'm not even sure if I can shoot one there or not (haven't gotten that far in the research) so I'm just looking for some opinions.

Seen them. Think of a Makarov. I've never shot either, but they seem to be simliar, at least in styling.

I've thought about getting one as well. Be sure to report back if you do.

shot one, I think of it as a walther knockoff. However when I did shoot it, it shot accuretly and performed well. If you have the money I'd get a walther ppk if you want a .380, but like i said when i shot the bersa I had no issues with it. Personally im a sig sauer man.

I know it's a knockoff, but I haven't read anything bad about it yet. So why pay the extra just for a name is where my head is going.. I know it's a knockoff. I'm fine with that as long as it performs well.

Going today to get a Springfield Armory XD Sub Compact 9mm. Shoots great and feels like an extension of your arm. Very concealable.

Gary G:D

JD, I have one.

It's an excellent little pistol. Ergonomics (trigger, sights, larger beavertail to protect shooting hand) are better than a Walter PPK. Mine has about 2000 rounds through it and has never had a stoppage, including some questionable handloads (experimenting with cast bullet weights and shapes).

However, it's not without flaws.

The blued steel (slide and other small parts) is not highly polished, has a matt finish that is functional but looks low end.

After about 1000 rounds, the slide release lever may wear to the point where slamming home a magazine will cause the slide to release without depressing the lever. And the slide itself shows some signficant wear points on some of the contact points with the frame. Those couple of parts could have used a little extra hardening or polishing in specific locations. The nickel finish might be worth looking into for that reason.

The pistols come with a lifetime warranty for the original owner, so after owning it for 4 years, I sent mine in to the Colorado-based gunsmith who does Bersa's warranty work. They replaced the slide release and dressed the wear points on the underside of the slide. Total cost to me was $10 for shipping, and I had the gun back in about 10 days. Gun still runs like a champ.

Bottom line, it's easier to shoot than a Walther PPK, it's very reliable, and reasonably accurate. It's not what I consider to be a "will it to your grandkids" gun. I don't think it's up to having tens of thousands of rounds run through it, as you might get with a more expensive firearm. But as a carry piece that you carry a lot and occassionally practice with, it's a great value.

Good review Rich. Thanks. I've also been in the market for a small auto to replace the old 38 I sometimes use as my concealed carry now. I'm going to give one of these a serious look. The cost is definitely right.

"A .380 in the pocket is better than a .45 in the truck"!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Rich, thats basically what I expected for the price which it completely fine by me. I plan to buy a crossbreed supertuck for whatever I end up with so the kydex will not be friendly to the finish anyways.

Ruger LCP.

Too small, I want something I put my hand on, not something I have to be worried about breaking.

Kimber Pro Raptor....Wilson Combat KZ-45

Too big, I already have an XD9 4" which I currently carry I just want something a little smaller.

Springfield Armory XD Sub Compact 9mm

Just right but I already have a 4" model and the price is a little higher than what I want to spend right now.

For a CC weapon, I prefer stainless for reasons of appearance over the long haul.

Bluing tends to wear off, especially when exposed to bare skin acids, etc.

I'm liking the Ruger. It sounds like a polymer which would wear well.

Caymen: Is that the one you like? Why?

I'm in the market for a newer weapon.

I'm a pharmacist. I tend to carry most of the time.

BTW, many people who are supposedly have gunsmith knowledge say that the PPKS double action is impossible to make in a light pull. I had one worked on by a buddy and it is a smooth as butter with solid performance. I have had not performance or reliability issues with a 40 year ownership and abount 2000 rounds. The model I have is made in Germany which was the case back then. Some newer ones are made elsewhere. Since 1968 there have been many new 380 models from different manufacturers. Stainless is a good way to go for obvious reasons.

edited to make complete English sentences. I'd rate the previous post as A for content and B- for grammar.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm liking the Ruger. It sounds like a polymer which would wear well.

Caymen: Is that the one you like? Why?

I am seriously leaving towards the Ruger LCP. I know it is only a .380 and not something larger. I do not like the idea of having something on me that is heavy and bulky. I want something that will be super light weight, small, easy to hide, and cheap to buy ammo for.

The price being around $300.00 makes it very apealing. I like the Baby Glock, but on the expensive side.

Sure, the Ruger LCP is not sesigned to have thousands upon thousands of rounds going through it. It is small, easy to handle, simple to operate, and most of all affordable.

I know guys that carry .45 and such. That just isn't for me.

Tom

I have a Colt 45 Auto within easy reach while I'm a work.

But when I open and close the store and during the occasional late night emergency call or delivery (especially to the county jail) I like to carry something small, light but convincing.

The Ruger is worth looking into. But, as stated, I want stainless or polymer, for durability

I don't plan to shoot thousands of rounds. Probably a clip or two to break it in.

And Bud: I appreciate the tip on using gunbroker.com. Cool site I didn't even know existed!

Bersa makes a fine 380.

I keep a keltec 380 in my Glove box and a Springfield 1911 next to my bed. The keltec works perfect for concealment ... especially when I go jogging or out to walk the pup.

Cant go wrong with Glock either.

Carried a .45 in the Army '68-'71.

I Know for a fact that if you want to stop a perp in his tracks you need massive shock to the nervous system. You would get it with a .40 but I would not risk my life with anything less. If

that guy is still standing and able to squeeze off one shot it might be the last.

I use nothing but CorBon 185 gr JHP or Speer 230 gr Gold Dot HP.

95 or 115 grain bullet just doesn't get the job done.

That little bit of xtra weight in a carry auto is worth it.

Latest posts