BELT PROBLEMS

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FELICIA WEST

Reaction score
I HAVE HAD PROBLEMS WITH MY "S" BELT SINCE I BOUGHT MY ST NEW IN 2001. IT SQUEALS CONSTANTLY! THE DEALERSHIP SENT ME ON MY WAY IN 2001 WITH THE BELT REPLACED AND SAID THAT SHOULD FIX THE PROBLEM. SINCE THEN I HAVE REPLACED THREE BELTS, IDLER PULLEY, AND TENSIONER PULLEY. THE SQUEALING NEVER WENT AWAY! FINALLY I HAVE PUT A NEW BELT ON THAT IS 1/2" SHORTER AND THE SQUEALING HAS GONE AWAY, BUT I LOST POWER AND THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT GOES ON AND OFF EVERY NOW AND THEN.

WHAT IS A GIRL TO DO!?!

Check engine light is not related to the belt. Get the cades read and report back here. Someone will give the info for the fix..

The 1/2 inch should not have affected the power nor tripped the light...

You may have knocked off a vacuum hose or it may just be freak timing.

Get to Autozone and they will scan your Trac for free. Then come back here and post the code. DO NOT buy anything or do anything until you post the code. Just trust me on that for now...

Last edited by a moderator:
There are members that live in Al close by you, maybe one can look at your truck for you...

Unfortunately it sounds like the dealer never fixed any thing...

Todd Z

THEY DIDN'T REPAIR THAT PROBLEM NOR DID THEY REPAIR ANOTHER PROBLEM I HAVE HAD SINCE I BOUGHT IT. THEY KEEP SAYING THEY CAN'T DUPLICATE ANYTHING, BUT I HAVE NO TROUBLE GETTING THE TRUCK TO MISBEHAVE. THE ENGINE HESITATES WHEN I PUT THE TRUCK IN REVERSE OR DRIVE. IT IS ALMOST LIKE THE IDLE IS TOO LOW. AS FAR AS THE BELT STUFF GOES, I WILL GET THE CODES CHECKED. SO I ASSUME THE 1/2" SHORTER BELT IS OK?!

you used an 860 belt ??? the 865 is stock i beleive...

The 1/2 shorter is actually better....

Todd Z

belt problem can also be caused by water pump pulley. ford has up graded part # to 06 suppose to take care belt noise. what they have done is raised the center of pulley,to give better grip.so instead of flat surface, it now has a small crown on contact surface.

Latest posts