Bed liner on the body? Good or Bad?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Hambrice

Reaction score
This is the truck I should be getting this week. Where I made white, I want to put a spray on bed liner like line X or something. The person before me took it off road a lot and it has some good scratches and paint missing on the rear wheel well. What do ya'll think? Good or bad?

[Broken External Image]:

When I lived in VA there was a guy who had done that. From a distance it wasn't bad, up close it looked pretty crappy. Defiantly rugged though.

LineX and other bed treatments seem to have an tendency to collect/trap the dirt down in the texture of the coating to me, so it would probably be hard to clean, and keep clean as well. JMO

I would almost mask off the good areas, get a couple of cans of high quality spray paint..... wet sand the area, apply 2 coats of new paint.. wet sand.... then polish and clear coat....

May not match 1005 but would look better in my honest opinion...

IF you have a local school that teaches body shop, heck let them do the work on it..... at least it might be free !!!

Todd Z

I could be wrong, but I'm thinking that bedliner wouldn't stick to the plastic trim very well.

Krylon Fusion paint is made for plastic. I painted the faded flares on my daughter's Jeep with it and they came out real well. Rubbed them down with acetone real good first.

In a word ................... NO.

Just my 2 cents worth! As Todd suggests, high school body shop class, community college body shop class.

I've just done the step bars on my '01 with Herculiner (bed liner product similar to LineX). I usually don't use the step bar, but what I didn't realize was that when I get out of the vehicle, the back of my leg skims the step bar. With the stock coating I never realized it, but the Herculiner coating will actually scratch bare skin if you hit it hard enough. Just something to think of - paint, plastic doesn't scratch skin, but those coatings might!

I haven't seen a bed coating that doesn't fade after time. Will look good for the first couple of months, but over time will do the same thing as the factory color. Spray paint is probably the best option

LOOK what I found on the jobsite yesterday !!!!!

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Todd Z

The liner will not stick to the plastic... he would have to do the metal areas only..

Todd Z