Battery problems and something weird

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tommy VanNess

Reaction score
Hi guys,

2 days ago, I got to school a little early, so I played angry birds for about 20 minutes. When it was time to walk to class, I noticed I forgot to turn off the lights. Sure enough, it wouldn't start and had that little clicking sounds it makes. I didn't have time to worry about it, so I headed off to class. When I got back about 4 hours later, it somehow had just barely enough juice to turn over. It was fine until this morning.

This morning, it also barely started. I figured the drive to school would charge it up a bit and I could go to autozone after class. Well, when I parked, I shut it down. Curiously, I wanted to start it back up to see if it would happen. Nothing but clicks. Then something really weird happened. I removed the key and went around to the other side to grab my bag. When I was on the passenger side, with keys in hand, and I noticed that all the dash lights were on as if the key was in the ignition and in the "on" position. The CD player was resetting and I knew all of this was drainging precious juice. So I went around and put the key in and turned the key to "on", then turned it off and removed the key. This seemed to turn everything off, so I grabbed my bag and left. This was a really weird occurrence and I am a bit worried now.

First off, I am hoping there is enough juice so that I can start it and go straight to autozone and get a battery. But i am also worried about having caused any electrical problems. (I am deathly afraid of having electrical problems) Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Tommy

Get it checked and replaced if needed. Too much starting with low voltage will ruin the starter.

Thanks chris and Eddie. I have had a duralast gold for about 7 or 8 years now. It has been a great battery, but it is probably time to replace it. Just gotta get it started.

Really appreciate the info and the quick repsonses. I'm on my phone between classes.

Tommy

Thanks for the input guys. It barely started when I got out of class, so I went straight to Autozone. Got me another Duralast gold. Works great, no signs of electrical problems. Hopefully this one lasts another 7-8 years.

I can remove the key from my 99 Jeep Cherokee with the ignition still in the on position. It's bad key "module" or whatever it's called. I have to be very careful to turn the key and ensure everything is off, then remove it.

I had a similar thing with a motorcyle. I removed the key did a little shopping and came back to the bike surprise to see the headlight on. Then I discovered that the ignition was still on and anyone could've jumped on and ridden off.