Batt / Alt question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My 01 trac did something funny last night on the way home all the lights got dim and then the ABS light came on followed by the air bag light, then the check gauge light. When I came to a stop the truck completely died. The battery gauge was way down at the bottom.

So I had it jumped and it lasted a mile or so and did the same thing again, So today I took the battery to AZ and had it tested (original battery) with 100,500 miles and they said it was a good battery ?

So now I guess I gotta bring in the Alt to have it tested also.

Anyone run into anything like this

Don't waste you time taking off the alternator yet. Nine years and 100K miles, it's time for a new battery. The alternator may still be bad, but I would replace the battery first.

My money is the altenator.. If you can charge the battery enough to get to AZ. Let them test it on the trac. They can run a multitude of test that way. Dont run any accesories on the way there.

Get both new battery and an alternator. Both are on borrowed time anyway.

My bet is bad alternator, but your battery has got to be limping too.

Assuming you have the time, clean all the battery terminals. Even the other end of the negative cable. Make sure all the connections are clean and tight. Charge the battery and if it goes bad in a day or two, get a new one. Don't fix it if it ain't broke.

Ed

That s exactly what happened to my trac a month ago... bad alternator... 169 bux later and a new battery, i was on the road again... I replaced the batterybecause it was original 160000 mile unit, and needed replacing any how:smile0006:

This is the same story that happened to me of Feb 09. And just the day before I replaced the battery b/c it was due to be changed. And just so happen the truck died on me the next day. The battery light came on and I knew it was the Alt. Course, I ran the truck til I could get to a good place to park without towing and it shut off. I replaced the Alt and then had to replace the battery b/c it was gone as well. Lucky for me Battery One replaced it for free. (battery)

But just recently, my alt went bad again. Dec 09. So I don't know whats going on. Might just be the cheap reman alts. I paid $129.

Well being 10 degrees, probably below zero :smile0004:this morning I managed to get the Alt off and went and had it tested, it was putting out 4 volts. So I got another one and put it on, the trac is running fine once again, $182 later. Being the holidays just got over I'll have to wait a few weeks then I will put in a new battery. Thanks Mike.M

Bet the rebuild was a bad alt...

BUT you should NEVER put a new alt on a week or un charged batt !!!! That can cause the ALT to fail........

Always charge the battery before starting the truck with a new alt.... they are not designed for that ....

Glad you got it fixed..

Todd Z

Buy a Diehard P-2, like Todd and I have. Seriously take a look at this battery.

After reading his positive comments, I bought one. No regrets, whatsoever.

After you overcome the "price shock", no reason not to buy it. ($189)

135 minute reserve, 930 CCA, four year free replacement, and prorated 100 months.

Bolts in without adapters or retrofitting, unlike the "Type O". Looks very nice, too.

Last edited by a moderator: