Balljoints, Bummer

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandon Poorman

Reaction score
Well I took the 01 in today for an alignment since I put new wheels and tire on it. The guy comes in and says I need 4 new ball joints. I walked out and he showed me, bottoms are pretty bad, tops aren't as bad but need replaced. If I'm going to have to replace one on each side, I'm going to replace both. I have gotten 2 estimates, 1 from the dealership, 1 from AutoTire where it was getting aligned, and I'm waiting on my third from my normal mechanic. All I have to say is OUCH! That isn't something this college student saw coming in the budget, but needs to be done. Its got 117,xxx on original balljoints so I guess it's time. I plan on keeping it until the wheels fall off, then put them back on and drive it more.

Yeah, I'm hoping mine hold out until I do my SAS because I don't wanna replace all them just to do the swap right after.

Last edited by a moderator:
If your gonna "do it yourself" make sure you have the pickel fork to remove them

Some times you just wish We all lived closer..... the sad thing is the parts are about $100.00........

Todd Z

I'm about 45 minutes from STL. The bottoms move about 1.5 inches up and down. I'm driving it until next week.

Todd....i always wish you all lived closer, and would pay for my upgrades.

My cousin is going to do them for me. He works for a local dealer. The plan is to put all moog in it. All 4 ballyhooed are going to be replaced and camber kits installed while the control arms are out. One question is since the moogs are a complete control arm, will it need new bushings?

Always a good idea to replace parts while you have it apart, I'd replace the bushings because of age, mileage. If your balljoints are old enough to replace then the bushings are ready to replace too. JMO

I was just wondering if the upper control arms needed the new bushings since they were new control arms or if the moog kit came with them.

Shocks are a year old and endlinks are about a year old. And after looking further into the moogs I did see that they come with bushings. Also, Moog only has explorer listed....I'm guessing that's the one I use. I found moog-suspension.com and got everything with free shipping 346.40 (2 camber kits, 2 lowers, 1 one piece upper, 1 two piece upper). I'm going to check my normal part store tomorrow and my cousin is checking his prices through their supplier.

But....does moog just include our ST in the explorer?

And, I know I have a two piece on the passenger side.

Your right across the river from Sauget, Il., right? Back when I drove OTR I used to go there quite often hauling a Hazmat load from PPG out of three different plants in W.V.. When Jess backed into their loading dock I'd look over the corn fields at the Archway. :supercool:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts