Ball Joints

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gavin Allan

Reaction score
I still don't understand all the ball joints wearing out on SportTracs. I NEVER hear of anyone replacing ball joints on any other vehicle anymore unless it has billions of miles on it.

Are these the 2WD STs or 4WD STs?

What's up with Ford's ball joints?

I agree with you Gavin. I had to replace a ball joint on a Toyota Supra I had after it reached 100,000 miles but never on vehicles as new as 4 years old.

I worked as an auto tech at a GM dealer in the late 80's to early 90's. Chevy/GMC had a recall on the ball joints on all the 1/2 ton and 3/4 trucks. The ball joints they used were "greaseless" and we had to change them out, going back with joints with grease fittings. I don't know for sure if failures prompted the recall, but I would guess that it did.

These are greaseless junk. I figure once I put the new ones on, I shouldn't have to replace them for quite a while. I'm actually amazed mine lasted as long as they did. They started making noise at around 104,000.

My buddy just had his done on a year old Dodge 3500, 57K miles. He was not impressed. He does not tow anything and only hauls around a quad on his back deck.

#1 reason for worn ball joints (premature wear that is): Bad parking skills. Keep going 'till you hit the curb - yep, you're there. Also stresses tie rods and ruins alignment.

Reason 1A - leaving it against that curb for 8 hours while you're at work.

#2 reason: Pot holes - basically same stress as banging that curb.

grump

Just had mine replaced at 103,000. Took it in for other preventative maintenance/new tires and was told the ball joints had to be replaced. That was expensive! Probably should've shopped it around.

Q, Josh.

most of the time they will click, or clunk while driving or turning or braking..

Also if you have your truck serviced they should check the front end for play..

Todd Z

Latest posts