Ball joints vs. Control arm

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm getting A LOT of creaking from my front end right now, both when I turn the wheels and as I'm driving down the road. A while back, when I was getting some other work done, a shop recommended I replace both upper and lower control arms. A mechanic friend of mine looked at them and said only the uppers need be replaced. So that's what I did.

Now, I've got this creaking. Another friend referenced the ball joints, and I've noticed a fair amount of traffic on this site about the ball joints being a problem. How do I know if I should replace the whole lower control or just the ball joints?

I can afford the MOOG Problem Solver ball joints ($75/pair), but not so much the MOOG PS control arms ($200 each).

For the lower, typically only the ball joints need to be replaced (unless there are other problems). The upper, unfortunately (as you know) needs to be replaced when the ball joints are worn.

The MOOG are good parts. I cannot think of a benefit with replacing the lower control arm if it is not needed.

Lower control arm is only needed if the bushing are shot.

Try spray some lube on the sway bar bushings and end link bushings. They can get dry and squeek.

Just did this.

Ball joints are not a particular issue with Explorers/Tracs. It's just that they go at around 80-120k miles and that's where we are at now with a lot of these vehicles.

The lowers go first, but if you are going to the trouble of "going in there", then you might as well do the uppers while your are at it. You might also want to put new wheel bearings/hubs in too, since they go around this time also.

Moog is good, but I just bought this kit and went at it. ebay Item # 290867323586.

That and two hub/bearings for another $100 and BAM!, I'm good for at least another 50k.

If you are going to do this job yourself you will need Harbor Freight Item#4065 (Ball Joint Press). Pretty easy job, just follow the guides in the project area.