Ball joint replacement

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randy Monroe

Reaction score
I had new tires put on my ST and they said that my left side ball joint was going bad. I have not jacked the ST up yet to check it, but I was wondering if anyone has had one go bad or if anyone has changed one out yet. I haven't heard any talk of ball joint issues with anyone here. I have an 02 4X4 with 63,XXX on it.

Randy, the earlier ST's were plagued with ball joint problems.. My 2003 only had 50K when the 2 uppers went....

Todd Z

alright somebody chime in... I am highly highly mechanically inclined and i attempted to get the upper ball joint out of the spindle for a few minutes a while back and couldnt get it out. How the heck does it come out of the spindle??? I mean all that seems to hold it in is that one bolt, but i took that out, beat on it a while and it moved out maybe 1/4 inch...

Keep beating on it, you spryed it down wit hpenetrating spray right?

Woppy, if it sounds like you have a few rattles up front then the easiest way to check is jack up the front enought to get a shovel, long 2x4, or some other lever under your tires, then pick up on the lever and feel for movement, it might help to have a second person do the levering while you are inspecting the ball joint for movement.

Sounds like you need a bigger hammer. I use my 5lb hammer a couple whacks and it comes right out. Upper ball joints are very simple to change, lowers require the ball joint press, but still very simple.

Good luck.

Chad

you can spread the top spindle it will pop right out...

Don't just beat things with hammers....

Todd Z

Latest posts