ball joint question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George Doogle

Reaction score
The '01 Trac started squeaking when turning into the driveway and then I began to notice a sort or roaring sound from what I thought was the left front tire. Just had a garage take a look to see if my guess was correct. They said, upper control arms with ball joints, lower ball joints (causing the squeaking) and wheel bearings (causing the roaring). Price, $1250 with alignment and they need two days. I can do the bearing, I've did them a couple of years back. My question is, can you replace the upper ball joint without replacing the control arm? My shop manual says you have to replace the control arm but I found upper and lower ball joints available on the internet. Just trying to figure out if the ball joints are something I want to tackle.

Thanks,

George

"can you replace the upper ball joint without replacing the control arm?" answer - No. Replacing them with MOOG Problem Solver upper control arms you can do it, and they are greasable as well. MOOG also makes lower ball joints too. The price does seem a little high, and I would get a second opinion. The job should not take 2 days unless the shop is really busy. Doing it yourself would depend on how confident you are as a mechanic.

Use Moog Products, and when you replace the upper control arms. Make sure and get Camber bolts for the control arms. This will allow for a full adjustment in the alignment. Upper balls joints are not bad. The Lower balls joints can be a pain!!! The ball joints are probably not your squeaking. Maybe control arm bushings???

The roaring sounds like a bearing. If you drive and sway back and forth and hear the pitch change its a bearing!!

Is the ST a 4X4? Big difference on wheel bearings between a 2wd and 4X4. Look on the projects, there should be a reference to ball joint replacement. I did upper and lowers on my 01 4X4. Did heve to use a machine shop to press the new ball joints in. not really all that hard.

Unfortunately this is my second opinion. The first shop ballparked $1100.

Replaced the wheel bearings today. Seems quieter. Could use some tires to get rid of bothersome noise.

I priced the Moog parts as suggested. RH & LH upper control arms with two lower ball joints totals around $360. Since the RH doesn't seem to include the upper part of the control arm I figured for another $12 I'd replace the control arm bushing to cover what KC said about the squeak. Add a $90 alignment and I'm into it for about $500. With a child heading to college in a few weeks I'm leaning pretty hard towards doing it myself.

Anyone have a project on upper ball joints? I've studied the one covering the lower part.

Changing mine didn't cost that much, but only because I was lucky to make it home. Turned into the driveway and the truck wouldn't finish the turn. I got out to find out why and just about had a freak attack in the road. The passenger side ball joint had completely busted. Not attached. Wheels going opposite directions. Hubby hauled it to our mechanic because he didn't have the right tools and all is good again, but Oh My it could have been worse.

Latest posts