Ball Joint Boot

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaydawg74

Reaction score
Did some work on the Trac the other day and while I was at it I greased my ball joints that I replaced just a year ago (with Moog ball joints, uppers and lowers). The driver side lower ball joint boot has a small hole in it which had some grease oozing out of it. I may have over-greased it and ruptured the boot, since I didn't notice any signs of it oozing grease before I pumped a couple shots into it. Is this something that I should worry about?

From Federal-Mogul's web site:

Moog uses premium polychloroprene and polyurethane superior compounds that stand up to temperature extremes, dirt and abrasion to seal the boots on our ball joints. In addition, the ball joint boots are fitted with grease relief valves. These features help prevent contamination and allow debris to be flushed out when the ball joint is serviced.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh cool! So if I'm reading that right, the hole is there to allow crud to slip out with excess grease, also not allowing the boot to be stuffed too full. Thanks Swshawaii!

Jaydawg74- As you probably know, keep grease away from the brakes. You're good to go! :banana:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts