Bad Vibrations (STA)

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam H

Reaction score
This just started happening after I rotated and balanced my tires about a week ago. Truck was silky smooth after 8,000 miles. I rotated and balanced the tires, which didn't need much of a change.

After about 100 miles, I felt a slight wobble or vibration in the steering wheel. I re-checked all the lugs and they were all tight. I never use an air-gun on them, just a 4-way. So...

I took them all off and tried to re-balance them again and couldn't. They kept chasing weight, so I took it to Ford. They said they got them all balanced, but had to "index" two of them, which is physically turning the tire on the wheel a little to get a better balance.

So, about 50 miles after that it's getting REALLY bad, but I'm out of town in Atlanta. Don't have time to stop while in town, so I drive it in it's sweet spot where it doesn't vibrate my teeth loose too much, about 73mph. Anything above 78 is pretty bad. 87 and up is absolutely HORRIBLE.

I take it BACK to Ford, and they said my tires aren't speed rated for that speed. Uh...tires are rated to 118. Truck cuts off at 108, and I'm talking between 75-80-85mph. So, she [the service adviser] says that they'll fix it to be smooth up to the speed limit, 70mph, but anything above and beyond that is my problem.

Huh? So, we got into a little discussion about it, but in the end, I just want it fixed.

Has anyone dealt with an issue like this in a Gen2? I swear it's something WAY more than a tire balance. I'm thinking cracked wheel, warped rotor, glazed rotor, loose caliper, driveshaft weight, something in the drive line/chassis.

Opinions? I just clicked over 10,000 miles.

did you re rotate the tires again, Maybe it is a bad tire.....

Todd Z

Sounds like a bad tire. Try running your hands over the tread of each tire to see if there is any lumpiness in any of the tires. Try putting the spare on at each location for a few minutes. A bad tire will really ruin your day.

I didn't, Ford did whatever they did. I think they just balanced them again, so my original rotation is still how the tires are. My Mom had a belt shift in her 20" Pirelli on her Edge, but it's a different size. I'm researching that, too. See if anyone has had problems with our size of the STA's tires.

STA owner myself

****I had the same exact thing happen to me at about 5000 miles, immediately after my first tire rotation.

I took it up to Ford and I didn't believe them when they told me it was my rotors.

They resurfaced the rotors and sure enough, no more vibrations at high speeds.

Ford absorbed the cost.

Apparently this happens every so often with brand new rotors.

I have to admit that I am kind of a hard breaker and I drive a lot of daily stop-&-go.

I've been told that the initial resurfacing should fix it for good and I've been told that it will keep happening.

I'm just over 9000 miles and its about time for another rotation . . . . we'll see what happens

Got your email and message above. Why in the world would it KEEP happening? I don't understand that one. I waited 8,000 miles on my first rotation, since I was driving it hardcore doing some pleasure traveling, usually I do every 5,000 or 6,000. That's really interesting. I'll keep that in the back of my head when I talk to my dealer next.

I looked and felt the rotors, though, during the rotation...felt smooth and clean to my finger, but never threw them up on a machine or anything. Well, I guess I'll be in touch!

Thanks for the information!

Here you go, if this helps your case @ the dealer, here's a copy of my invoice.

Apparently, it was just the front rotors.

Last edited by a moderator:
KPC, absolutely incredible! Thanks for that, I have it saved locally on the computer. Will carry it with me and see what happens! I owe ya one.

Don't mention it.

If there is ever anything that I can contribute, I'm always willing to at least try and help.

Thats what I'm/we're here for.

It is just too coincidental that given the same wheels, tires, etc. & I'm assuming similar driving habits, that after the first tire rotation similar symptoms occurred.

I'd be surprised if its not the rotors.

As for it being a reoccurring problem, I am due for an oil change & tire rotation.

Within the next week or so I'll find out & keep in touch.

Good luck to you.

IMO, this site is the best thing that I've come across since sliced ham . . . or is it canned bread? :lol:

Called the dealer and my service adviser is never there. Then, she is on the phone. Never calls back. I'm about to take a trip up there to see what's what, but gonna wait a bit. Maybe tomorrow if I don't hear anything.

Well, I just got a call back. All they've found so far was the bands that go around the wheel and hold the tire pressure monitoring system monitor on, was busted on BOTH front wheels. So, she didn't know if the sensor was bouncing around in there or what, but they are gonna fix that first and then if I still have an issue, go from there.

Same here.

When I left my truck up there, he said "please don't hesitate to call me."

I should have guessed that meant "I'm never here and if I am I won't answer . . . so call all you want."

swoop1556

Do you have an update on your issue?

I just got my wheels rotated for the second time last week and I've put a couple hundred miles on it since.

I haven't had a reoccurrence so far!

Latest posts