Bad Nite..Speeding Ticket

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean M 2

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I need some help. I got a speeding ticket tonite for 80 in a 55. Here's the thing, as I've posted before I have 33" tires which causes my speedometer to be off as Todd Z calculated for me yesterday. I told the cop but he didn't do anything, but he did note it on the ticket. I know I was wrong, and I was speeding, but I honestly didn't think I was going that fast. (I was in a line of like 5 cars, and the cop picked me to pull over) Now, the officer stated that I will very likely get the ticket reduced if I got in writing that the speedometer is incorrect. How would you guys recommend getting this done. Dealer?? I was going to get an XCAL to correct this problem anyway but this doesn't necessarily prove the fact that the speedo is off. Sorry for the long post, but what I am basically asking is how would I best get this documented in order to help me out best in court. As always thank you.

Ask Caymen - he's the legal authority on cops ;)

Check your local yellow pages under 'Automobile', then 'Repair' or something of the nature. If not sure which one can do it, call a couple that you see listed - one of them will know who you should call (possibly even call a body shop for recomendations).

But, the Judge will probably only take that into consideration for mitigating circumstances, not to judgement of guilt/innocence - in Ohio, mental culpability doesn't need to be proven for such traffic violations, just whether or not the vehicle was going that fast. Check with an attorney, but best bet would to not pay it out, but go to court and work out a deal ... lower/no points, lower fines. If you firmly believe that you weren't speeding, consult a criminal attorney.

Last edited by a moderator:
Be careful, many states (if not all) require an accurate and functional speedometer, and using the excuse "I knew it was off, but didn't have it fixed" could be grounds for more fines and penalties. But I've only heard of that happened to people who were rude to officers or the judge, or had a long list of priors.

I can call a local buddy of mine he may be able to write you a repair bill or a statement that it is off and was or will be fixed....

Let me know..

And you will need a shop repair bill or statement when you show up in court for the ticket..

Todd Z

So many people use that excuse that you will probably get the fine and penalties anyway. You can try but I dont think it is going to matter.

Not sure that is really going to help you or not. In the end it's YOUR responsibility to make sure your Speedo is working correctly especially if you made mods (bigger tires) to the vehicle.

You take that into court you will lose 9 out-of 10 times. Bring a lawyer with you and 9 out-of 10 times you get the fine reduced. 60/40 chance if the lawyer can prove the radar detector wasn't accurate and knows the judge well.

I would go to court with a receipt of completed modification to speedometer and thoroughly explain that you had recently purchased your tires and were in the process of correcting the malfunctioning speedometer. Money was short and the amount needed to correct the problem was xxx amount of dollars. If you can show that you had made an appointment to get it fixed or checked before the ticket was issued, then that would be even better with the completed work reciept.

State that the initiative to fix the problem was there and it was unfortunate that you were pulled over before you could finish the process. The receipt in hand will show that you have taken the necessary steps (and or were trying). The judge should see that you are responsible and that the problem was not that you were intentionally speeding, but you were simply unaware of how fast you were going. In any logical mind, one should see the price of the XCal and feel like shit adding on the price of a ticket and the added insurance costs.

That is what I think.

I would get the speed odometer corrected and the receipt showing that it was adjusted should be good enough to show that it was incorrect. Cause why would you pay to have an odometer corrected if it was not incorrect? What the policeman told you sounds a little fishy. I would rather take my chances with a ticket clinic lawyer.

Good luck,

Jerry

From the times I have been to court with my kids, I have seen folks go in with a certificate from a speedo shop that shows that the speedo has since been calibrated and it was off by xx amount get their ticket reduced, although 25 mph is a stretch.

I had 44" tires on my Bronco years back and I was only off by like 7 mph (I had a buddy that was a sheriff clock me with his radar gun), but of course the speedo's were not nearly as accurate in 80-81 as they are today.

Find a speedo shop. Have your speedo recalibrated. This will be a bit tough since the ST needs to be recalibrated electronically so you will actually have to go an extra step to prove it's been corrected. Speedo's used to be calibrated via gear which was easier to show correction. What you do depends on what your driving record looks like. Here in SoFla going to court and pleading "no contest" will get you a fine but no points which is a good thing, at least down here.

I also believe that your hoping for too much. All though your speedo was off, you were clocked 80 in a 55. You knew you were speeding way past your speedo error..sorry but somtimes the truth slaps you and you have to grin and bear it.

Thank You everyone for the responses. I'm not looking to get the ticket dismissed, I know that will not happen. But if I can prove it was off by say around 10mph, I can hopefully get it reduced to 70 in a 55 instead.Thats 4 pts instead of 6 on my license, and if I attend a defensive driving course it will remove 4 pts. I have a totally clean driving record, with no prior infractions. But I am young, and that may work against me....

Todd Z thank you very much for the offer, I will be emailing you shortly.

You can also get it deferred. No points and 105.00 in fines if you haven't had ticket in the last 7-10 years.

Nothing is reported to your insurance company unless you have another ticket in the next 12 mos.

I agree. I think "Traffic School" is going to be your best bet on this one.

Go to a ___ hour class and pass, ticket is deferred for a period of time,

usually 12-24 months, and if no further violations, ticket is dropped and

insurance company is none the wiser!;)

There is no doubt you are wrong, you know and feel that. That said, all you can do now is try to limit the expense your going to get.

GET IT FIXED NOW!!!

Present a bill and explain that you felt it was off but not to the degree that it apparently was off as the speeding ticket indicates. I would not admit to number unless you are asked directly as to how much off you felt it was/is.

My guess is that if you do get it fixed and explain you intention of getting it fixed blah blah blah that you will more than likely get the fine reduced.

25 over is a substantial number. In Ohio, 25 over and you MUST go to court, you can not simply waive the court experience by paying all the "normal" fines and court costs...

Latest posts