Bad Front wheel bearing.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcirtap

Reaction score
Think i have a bad front wheel bearing. Kind of noisy in the truck. This is what it sounds like. Clip is long but u can see how quiet it is when i am stopped and how noisy when moving.

Could be...many, including us, have had to replace both the front and rear bearing. You can search 'bearings' for other posts, plus there is a project wrote up tp change them.

Sondra

yeah read alot of you guys changed them. Will probably order some Timken;s from rock auto. Local part place here in canada wants 350$ for one timken hub. LMAO. Rockauto with shipping 400$ give or take for 2 front ones. Now just a matter if i will do this myself or bring to local garage. Getting cold to be working outside :/

the front ones were easy compared to the back, but weather depends on your DIY or not. RockAuto is where we got ours from, be sure to google for a coupon/discount. they usually have a 5% off.

Ok that truck never moved...Honestly I could not tell, could be a bearing or something rubbing. You can find out which wheel bearing is bad just by jacking up the car and spinning the wheel by hand,You just put it in neutral and spin it.

or here is a "funner" way to do it but it does have the bad bearing noise in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdRpnK5MGQ8

yeah after further investigation it is passenger front bearing. you can feel it while turning the wheel. Also slight movement with hands at 12 and 6. Shrug. Rock auto here i come lol

now another question. SHould i go ahead and just replace both? or just do the one that is bad for now? Hear that once one goes bad other follows shortly after. thanks

good point. THanks for the input. Hopefully Axle nuts won't be to much of a pain to remove without air. Maybe i should borrow a second breaker bar lol.....

Had the right front replaced twice. Left front never. Extended warranty has paid for itself with that and the new alternator and radiator. :supercool:

Hopefully timken Wheel bearing better then the OEM Motorcraft. Sad that gone at 96 000 KM. In the last year have had them all since i bought the truck, leaking radiator, exhaust manifold, a cloged cat. All of those were repaired under warrantie thankfully. Still sucks though. .

well i'll be damned. Rockauto shipped my hubs threw fedex, fedex thought it would be a good idea to leave them at my front door. And now they are missing. Sucks.

Well both front wheel bearings replaced. All i can say is WOW. What a difference, truck so silent now. Don't think it has been this quiet since i bought it last year. :)

Within the first 3 years of owning my truck, I had the bearings replaced on 4 separate occasions.... twice on each of the fronts.... They were all covered under the original warranty, but if I have to do it again, I'm definitely going with something aftermarket and not what Ford uses!

Within the first 3 years of owning my truck, I had the bearings replaced on 4 separate occasions.... twice on each of the fronts.... They were all covered under the original warranty, but if I have to do it again, I'm definitely going with something aftermarket and not what Ford uses!

Latest posts