Back Window Panel Crack...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter Nystrom

Reaction score
So, Has any one had this happen? I don't think anything hit the window. One morning during the weekend, I came out to the truck and noticed that it had a few cracks.

-- Peter Nystrom

[Broken External Image]:

Look around the Edge of the window for small screw driver marks or BB mark in the glass.

If not vandalism, The frame may have twisted from the heat and cold and did it enough to crack it...

Todd Z

I looked at it...but I did not see any unusual marks on the rim, nor pit marks or holes (suggestive of a BB). It does not really look like vandalism to me...but I don't know what it would look like...exactly. Not something, I see regularly on the weekend. Ha! ;)

From the stress fracture pattern, I was assuming it was due to the heat & cold. I checked out a weather site, and found the temperature history (70-90 deg F.) for Saturday/Sunday. But, that does not seem like it would cause it, maybe it was just due to years of temperature stressing (i.e. it's a 2001 Job1). I am not sure.

Temperature Weather History:

[Broken External Image]:

Did a search for a used unit and found two places that have the right glass. One is too much money the other is a good price though,

2003 Back Glass Ford Explorer Spt Trac- RH ONLY QD01 $55 SHOP ID 6000

And a complete used unit is going,

2002 Back Glass Ford Explorer ALL GLASS GOOD PARTS ONLY 051217 $165 SHOP ID 3438

And with a complete working unit,

2001 Back Glass Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4DR 058020 $191 SHOP ID 2414

This will at least give you something to compare other costs to. If you do want any of these, let me know and I'll get a confirmed price plus freight. Make sure you post the zip code you want it shipped to...

CoastieJoe, thank's for the comparison prices...I will check around locally first and see what I find.

Fmarano, Yes, it probably is covered by insurance...but I will have to check.

Well, I am off to get it fixed this week...just thought it was strange.

One thing I found out was that submitting glass replacement claims to your insurance does not count against you. Most insurance companies encourage their policy holders to replace any glass, especially windshields, that have a crack or break.

My wife's Windstar took a rock to the windshield about a week after we drove it off the lot. I inquired to my insurance agent and he had a glass replacement company replace it in our driveway a day later. There usually is a deductible, however.

OK...I found out that insurance does cover it for 100 dollars deductable. My windshield has a crack across the top, so they will replace them both for the deductable. Not bad. Although, the Safelite guy said he had to roll down the back window so that he can replace the rear window panel. It is because they replace the window frame with the rear window panels. (as one piece) At least, that is what he was going to do. Small problem. My rear window quit working a little while back and I have not gotten around to fixing it. I guess the time is now. :eek:

I searched the site, and found the re-initialization instructions from kefguy.

(http://www.mysporttrac.com/shared/msgboard9e.asp?BOARDNAME=MSG&VIEW=740158&REPLYCOUNT=12&sitename=mysporttrac)

-- snip -- from link above -- snip ---

a. Start with the ignition key in the OFF position.

b. Turn the ignition key to the ON position.

c. Press the rear window glass control switch vent button six times.

d. Turn the ignition key to the OFF position.

e. Press the rear window glass control switch vent button six more times.

f. Turn the ignition key to the ON position. At this point the rear window glass will move up and down approximately 20 mm (0.8 in). This movement signifies that the rear window glass motor has entered into the initialization mode.

Note: The rear window glass control switch must be held in the up or down position until the window glass stops moving. Failure to hold the switch will end the initialization operation. Then initialization will have to be re-started.

g. Hold the rear window glass control switch in the full up position until the rear window glass stops in the full up position.

Note: If a repair is to be carried out on the rear window glass release the rear window glass control switch when it reaches the desired position. This will end the initialization operation.

h. Hold the rear window glass control switch in the full down position until the rear window glass stops in the full down position.

i. Hold the rear window glass control switch in the full up position until the rear window glass stops in the full up position. At this time the window will move up and down approximately 20 mm (0.8 in) signifying the rear window glass motor is initialized.

-- snip -- from link above -- snip ---

I followed the procedure, but it did not seem to do anything. Once, the motor made a small click, but the window did not move at all.

I check the connector on the motor. The two larges wires have 12 V on them. So, I figure the motor is getting power.

My diagnoses (so far) is that the motor is broken.

Is there a way to manual raise and lower the rear window? I was thinking I could use this to check if the window was jamming. Altough, if it was jamming, I would figure that the motor would be making more noise.

Does anyone have instructions for replacing the rear window motor? and maybe a diagram?

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator: