back up camera ideas

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Keefer

Reaction score
I'm looking for ideas on where to install a back up camera on the rear of am 04 sport trac? I seen them on the license plate but I am trying to hide mine so its less noticeable. any ideas????

Aloha Zo, I think that if I wee to do another, I would try to cut a hole up on the cab third break light. I would wire it to the back up lights up there. It will be interesting to see what others say.

Good luck Ed

Some members got the licence plate frame and or the tailgate handle.

Todd Z

The license plate sounds like the best to me. In my wife's Armada, the camera looks right over the hitch ball. I can back up to the boat trailer and put the ball right under the coupler. In the Trac, I need a spotter or a few trials and errors.

Boyo makes a good license plate camera that is small and is not too noticeable. I had one on my last ST and it worked well. Only thing I didn't like was there are no guide lines. It is adjustable up and down for a good angle.

Zoey, I installed a very unobtrusive backup camera on my 350z a couple of years back. A few friends of mine had commented on how stealth it look because it was a normal frame with a very small "bubble" which housed the camera. If I can find a photo of it, I will link you. In the meantime, I have the exact same backup camera just waiting to be installed. This wont be for a while as I am slowly modifying my 08ST.

Ya I hid it under my tailgate at the moment and the only issue is the guide lines on the screen are off for the area behind me but I can see the hitch which is what I wanted it for. If the emblem was the same size at the camera from the 09+ f 150's I would have switched it out but I think the 07-10 Sport trac's are the same only. I'm not a fan of the exposed ones on the plate mainly due to my neighborhood. I was just checkin to see what anyone else did though I like the texas plate :bwahaha:

[Broken External Image]:

Drilled out the DOT in between the letters and numbers so it wont be seen..

then drilled out the bumper behind it so it would fit.

[Broken External Image]:

This makes for a nice hidden cam.

More images of all the Stereo install in my Eclipse folder of the photo Albums.

Jim, it's made by Boyo. Here's one on ebay. It's a start for you. I got it online , but I'll have to put my thinking cap on to remember where I got it, LOL!

ahh ok, the one I got has the guide lines but has to be mounted to the bottom side of like my gate... I might when I get extra $$$ buy that one gary.. Thanks

I was fortunate to score a Rostra kit from a flea market for $15!

http://www.rostra.com/

This system has the LCD integrated inside a newly provided rear view mirror. Works real nice. The instructions provided were for a Toyota truck but the Trac was very similar.

I mounted the camera on the tail gate just to the left side of the latch. Sheet metal re-enforcement in the gate prevented a center mounting point. But the fish eye effect is so extreme you can't tell the difference. The video wire comes through the rear tail lens rubber plug. It is then tape wrapped around the existing stay wires on the left side of the gate.

Hardest part was routing the wires through the headliner and down the rear driver's side pillar. Saturday afternoon job. Used heavy wire to pull the wires through. I should have taken pictures and posted a project!

The rear view mirror mount was for the Toyota, but it slipped right onto the sport trac dove tail mounted on the glass.

Highly recommended if you have a rear cap on the Trac as I do, which, BTW, is a used Lear cap that I paid $100 for off of CraigsList. I sure know how to score the deals eh?

I feel so much safer with the camera. Took a little while to get used to it, but now seems very natural.

A lot of backup cameras on woot.com til July 7. They even have one for a large truck or bus with 4 cameras and a 7" monitor. Under their electronics category and scroll to the bottom. :driving:

I like the Boyo VTL 300, I didn't realize they would be that expensive in Canada. They are 243.29 on Amazon.ca. I wonder if there was a place in Ontario Canada that would have these models cheaper. If anyone knows of anywhere, please let me know

Latest posts