axle code - no tag

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sefus sefus

Reaction score
New to the site and Sport trac world, Have an 01 4x4 and was looking for the axle code, so I check the door jam where the tag should be and ... no tag. So wehre can I look to get the info the tag would have provided? Thanks!

-Sefus

On the differential itself. If the tag says 4L10 than it is a Limited Slip 4.10. If it says 4.10, it is a open 4.10. Of course, 3L73, and 3.73 are self explanitory.

Also, the 4.10 came on the models with the step bars. If you have OE step bars, there is a good chance you got the 4.10.

Tom

Awesome, anything else that door tag would be telling me? I forget what is the standard listings on them besides the vin.

-Sefus

That door tag tells you interior color, exterior color, axle, spring rates, etc. lots of info there.

Tom

Was the truck repainted, Wrecked, totaled ????

It is against the law to remove or damage that sticker....

Todd Z

Yeah its been a long story of buying this thing. It came used from a big name dealership who decided to hide and/or not disclose damage to the drivers door (it was hidden when open and told me it was clean on carfax). So I made it known they WERE going to take care of the issue and they repaired and repainted the door. I never looked for the tag when I first bought it so I dont know at what point it was removed. I'm not surprised though by the rest of the BS the stealership tried to feed me.

Oh and thanks for the welcomes, havent been new to a site in a long time.

-Sefus

Ok,

I am glad you knew the story,

Just making sure..

Welcome to the site and Good luck with the ST...

Todd Z

Thanks Todd, I just did the first calculation on my MPG let alone the performance (I'm a hot rod junkie), so I'm sure I will be talking to you soon. I really wanted a rig I wouldnt be tempted to mod, guess thats out the window!

-Sefus

Chad,

Yes, a LSD has 2 tags, an open Diff only has 1

1 tag is the size, type and gear ratio... The other tag is the LSD tag...

Todd Z

Actually, on both my vehicles, one tag was the differential info, (4L10, 4.10, 3L73, or 3.73) and the other says to use 75W140 gear oil.

Tom

Tom,

Thats beceause the 75w140 is for the limited slip diff only...

Todd Z

Ok I have exactly one tag reading 75w140 gear oil only. Looks like the pumpkin was opened up at some point cause there is a nice smearing of form-a-gasket squished out. I think this rig has more of a story to it than I ever wanted to know.

-Sefus

Yeah my tag is missing too, so i dont know if i have limited slip or not.

But my ST was in a wreck, the door jam wasnt involved so i dont see how that could relate.

GeorgeT

Sefus,welcome to the sight and get some more info up on your member profile of the vehicle and a few pics. This place is full of help from alot of people. They can tell you alot from just pics and as far as a vehicle you are tempted not to mod.hahahahahah. This is the wrong place and wrong vehicle. This vehicle is too much fun to just leave alone._Ron

Latest posts