AWD in lock mode

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Luke

Reaction score
They didn't have a message category in AWD so i chose 4x4

But, I was wondering what does the lock mode in AWD do? had AWD vehicles before and never had a lock option, but it says in the owners manual that the 4x4 light will pop on the dash, but doesn't quite make sense to me for a AWD system to have 4x4 on it, anyways can anyone clarify this, is this just like normal 4x4 vehicles, not meant to be on when driving in normal conditions?

thanks

if you have the AWD, you mention you have the 4x4 option as well, you should see a 4x4 high and 4x4 low. those options are for unnormal driving conditions or severe towing.

I would guess the "lock mode" means the transfer case will lock the front and rear axles. This is when maximum traction is needed, such as very slippery surfaces, pullling stumps, etc.

Tom

I found more info in my owners manual, it says just like what Tom said, but they said that you can drive it in normal conditions and it won't wreak the AWD system, just that you will notice more noises, and clunking, but theres no hi or lo options.

Latest posts