Automatic transmission low 1st gear 2001 ST

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason Sundown

Reaction score
Has anyone noticed this. When you are driving slow and shift down into low gear 1st, it just revs while doing about 20mph. and then if you hit the rpm's up to 4 or 5000 rpm then it starts to move again? Does this mean I have a bad Low gear??? From other automatics I have owned this gear use to pull you back in your seat when you drove in it slow locally. Then when you punch it, it would launch the car and then downshift again. Is this one on the ST supposed to work the same way?? I was driving with my new exhaust and wanted to hear it roar at low end so i down shifted it and noticed it was not working so I put into 2nd low gear and that one works fine.

You are shifting into a gear when you RPM's are too low for the speed you are driving.

Don't scream and complain at Ford when you F your tranny up.

Tom

That's because computers control a lot more stuff than they used to (or before cars had computers at all).

It simply won't let the tranny downshift at that speed, as Caymen said. For the same reason, your truck won't rev much above 3000 rpm in Park or Neutral and you won't grind the starter by accidentally hitting Start with the engine running.

That was just a one time deal. I really don't want to have any trani issues. I was not familiar with the setup. Thanks for letting me know. I definitely won't be trying that again. :blink: