Auto Up/Down Window Initialization Procedures

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve S 3

Reaction score
Does anyone have the initialization procedure for a 2010 Explorer?

I am attempting to add auto up to a 2007 Sport Trac by using a LH motor for a 2010 and modifying all the wiring to match. It works, except the auto part.

What I can't get is the initialization procedure. There are at least 5 ways to do this with Fords and I've tried them all with no luck. The window will move slightly in the auto/detent position and stop, although using the manual up/down (just before the detent) will work.

BTW, I found a procedure for a 2009 and assumed it would be the same but no luck.

After I figure this part out I'm also adding auto up-down to the other windows by using a DEI 535 module but need to figure out the drivers window first.

Not as hard as I thought it would be.

Running a wire from the door to the body for the constant 12v is the hardest part. This is needed b/c the motor has a 'memory' of the limits.

For the actual power for made this easy. There are a few unused connectors under the dash that actually have power. I used the one for the trailer brake control since it was live and had 14g wires. Other than that, the switch is easy to find (junkyard or new), but needs some pin swapping, a new new connector for the motor is needed (junkyard or new, but is also the same as the fuel sending unit on late models fords).

Total cost is under $120 - motor $80, switch $30 (new), $10 connector (junkyard).

BTW, I tried for long time to re-engineer this using every OEM method I could find and this is the only reasonable method I came up with.

- the motor is different that other Ford models (mounting and wiring is different)

Most use a motor-based load sensing method but the wiring diagrams for a 09-11 Crown Vic show a switch-based controller. I could find that switch.

Aftermarket is a quick easy option (DEI or Autolock) but I wanted to maintain the switch 'detent', at least on the drivers side.

That's basically it.

I could do a project write up though if there is interest.

Latest posts