Auto up/down switches for front windows

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Caffyn

Reaction score
My '08 has an auto down switch for the drivers window, not up. My wifes '06 mustang GT has up/downs for both front windows. Can my switches be swapped for those. Or maybe the new '09 has them? I would really like to have that convenience in my ST. Any help?

When I started to look at the gen 2 Sport Trac in 2007 the Ford literature said the drivers side window switch was auto up/down, but when I test drove a late 07 it just wasn't so.

My 08 only does auto down. I to would be interested to know if just the switch or additional wiring would be necessary.

Greg

Auto up in considered a safty problem now for children. I know you won't see them in any recent vehicle out of the manufactor. I am not sure how long ago they stop doing auto up. My 04 ST is just auto down. Could you wife's GT be a after market modification?

The auto up feature has a safety built in, if it detects any resistance during the cycle (ie: a child) it auto defaults to the down mode. Its also why we don't see them in the back doors. And no, my wife' Mustang came as is from the factory. I really want to believe its all in the switches... so I'm still looking for help. Come on you Ford guys!!!

PS: my wife won't let me take her car apart to test if the switches are interchangable. Hmmm, may have to buy one to see if it works.

Did you notice on the 08 that when you opened the doors the window went down 1/2 inch, and after you closed the door it went up that 1/2 inch....

Cool idea to clear the roof rail....

Bad idea if the battery or motor goes bad...LOL

Todd Z

Actually Todd, I did... but only after several times I realized it was doing it. :D Pretty cool though, unless as you already mentioned the motor burns out.

High end coupes (Mercedes, etc) have been using that trick for 5-10 years now to get a seal essentially as good as a sedan. Still pretty cool though..... I've also seen several that motorize the door's last inch or so of latching closed. You can just barely close the door and it'll grab the latch and pull it shut, like the rear hatches on Vette's and Camaro's.

Latest posts