ATF Fill Plug

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wade Abnett

Reaction score
My V8 has no dipstick for the ATF. I found a hole in the back of the transmission where I guess you fill ATF. Is this correct and should it fill until it starts dripping out?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have a 4X4? I think your picture's of the transfer case drain plug. On the 6R60 transmission there's a fill plug just above the pan on the passenger side. It's very close to the catalytic converter. I've been told that it has a built-in dipstick; I've not unfastened mine yet to check fluid level, as I've got only 22K on my Trac.

Yes your picture is of the transfer case drain plug. The transfer case fill plug is more to the drivers side. It's a good idea to change the xfer case fluid every 30k. First remove the Fill plug, then the drain plug. Replace the drain plug, and fill with Mercon V. Don't over tighten the plugs in the transfer case, the case is magnesium and cracks easily!

The transmission is technically filled for life, but if you want to service it, the best way is to drop the pan, then refill it thru the dipstick/service port on the passenger side right beside the passenger cat. It can't really be serviced easily any other way because of the internal thermostat that prevents flow to the cooler circuit, so the fluid exchange units at the quick lube places won't work.

Do not use mercon V. The V8 6 speed uses mercon sp. If you drop the pan. You will need 6qts.

Put a drain plug in the pan while it is off. Look for a non interference location.

You also need about 4 foot of 1/2" garden hose on the funnel. Pour slowly. You will have to start it and move the trans thru the gears. Then place in park and stop motor. To get the last 1 1/2 qts in. Be shure to drive it, get the trans warmed up. Check the dip stick under the cap. Watch out for the the hot cat.

I just did this for one of our other memebers.

Ford no longer recommends MERCON V for the transfer case. They now have Motorcraft Transfer Case Fluid to put in transfer cases.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ditto on what EddieS'04 said. We changed mine and then I drained and refilled had to call him as I forgot the necessity of starting and running thru the gears while on the stands. Don't forget to have a firm foot on the brake when you do that. Thanks again Eddie.

Jim

Latest posts