As a former science teacher...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark K 2

Reaction score
this rubs me the wrong way. From a South Carolina school.

ddd19b0e112a1d484842a8a844596f67.jpg

I guess my first question would be: Is the school a public school? Or a church affiliated school?

But regardless, it looks like a little mind manipulation is going on in that science class.

I think religion & science can be co-exist but this rubs me the wrong way too. Weird stuff and a 100 % grade? Bo's example is even weirder...IMO!

Must be like kids' sports these days. Doesn't matter if you win or strike out at every bat so long as you participate. You still get a ribbon. Wouldn't want to send the wrong message now would we.

Do you think that this is a joke? It is a bit like the questionnaire that the Republican party sends to me to get donations. God bless Ed

I am extremely upset over this.

100 and A+ This student had completely wrecked the grading on the curve system.

I love that system. :smack::smack:

I agree with 07 Sport Trac...Both the religious and scientific explaination can co-exist and both can be right.

When I grew up, I went to a Catholic school from K-4th grade. We were not taught Science, or Biology. We were only taught the Catholic religious doctrine.

Fortunately for me, my parents moved me to a public school where they taught all subjects and explained that the religious "Creation" view differed from the theory of Evolution. It was well done and did not conflict with anybody's religious beliefs. For many years, man has been able to genetically engineer plants and has progressed to manipulation of livestock genetics. So why wouldn't God be able to do the same thing...and call it Creation?

...Rich

I went to a private catholic school from K-12th grade. We did learn about dinosaurs but most teachers wouldn't really touch on evolution. Some teachers did it saying that the creatures that God created did adapt and evolve as the world changed.

The other thing Science still cannot prove is how the world was created out of nothing. It had to have a beginning, but you can't create everything in our solar system out of nothing.

I grew up in the Virginia school system. Out of 3 years of history in high school we were taught two years of the history of the Civil War or as it is properly named "The War of Yankee Aggression". It was the religion in Virginia when I grew up. :fire::fire:

Andy,

The other thing Science still cannot prove is how the world was created out of nothing. It had to have a beginning, but you can't create everything in our solar system out of nothing.

Religion cannot prove that God exists either???...So what is your point?

My point is, given enough time Scientist continue to find scientific explanations for what the people witnessed thousands of years ago, and I suspect they will eventually know exactly how the earth was created and how life started here....That does not meant it was not created by a God who brought together all the correct components and genetics to allow life to flourish. That's why I say that Religion and Science can co-exist.

...Rich

When I grew up, I went to a Catholic school from K-4th grade. We were not taught Science, or Biology. We were only taught the Catholic religious doctrine.

Went to Catholic grade and high school. Had science starting in 1st grade. And "religion" was one of the 7 or 8 subjects we were taught with it. Sounds like your school was a bit regressive. What decade was this?

AK,

I will be 67 years old next month, and attended Catholic Schools K-4th grade in the early 1950's.....we only had Arithmetic, Reading, Spelling, Writing, Geography, Art, and Religion.. of course we had recess..:grin: (Yes, Reading Writing and Spelling were separate subjects). We were even graded on attending morning Mass before school...Each class had a separate section of pews to sit in church and the teacher took attendance. You were not expected to attend everyday, but you were expected to attend several Masses per week...not counting Sunday Mass.

I'm sure, times have changed as well as the curriculum over the years.

...Rich

Figured. My father is your age and went to Catholic grade and high schools. Probably had the same experience (well, for longer), plus the added knuckle slapping by nuns. :)

I remember in public school having to answer questions in world civilization class about religion, questions obviously charged with giving us ideas about and against religion, the opposite of this paper.

My favorite of them was: "True/False: Jews, Muslims & Christians all worship the same [sic] god"

The "correct" answer to that question, per the school, was "true". Reality, of course, disagrees.

Science and religion are seperate. Until religion accepts Science.

Look at what Texas is trying to put in the PUBLIC school textbooks...just as crazy

This is not a small percentage of our populace in the US mind you...there are a whole bunch of people who are blinded by the light

My favorite of them was: "True/False: Jews, Muslims & Christians all worship the same [sic] god"

The "correct" answer to that question, per the school, was "true". Reality, of course, disagrees.

Reality, of course, is uncertain. Religious scholars within and outside all three groups have debated this question for centuries, with strong arguments on all sides. No definite answer has ever been reached, nor will it likely ever happen.

Just curious--Why the "[sic]"? I didn't see a misspelling. Not criticizing, just curious...

"God" should be capitalized

Ahh. Got it.

Although technically, in this case, it shouldn't be. It's using it in the generic, and therefore lower case, form. It's like in the Ten Commandments--"I am the Lord your God--You shall have no other gods before Me." The first "God" is refering to the Christian God specifically, and thereforeshould be capitalized. The second "gods" is the generic usage, and is therefore properly lowercase.

Latest posts