are gen 1 and gen mounts the same?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chad linkhart

Reaction score
are the motor mounts in the gen 1 and gen2 the same? are they the same as the explorers? basically looking at buying just the aluminum block out of the 03 range explorer for the weight savings and building it instead the iron block in the sta. i know the aluminum explorer block is the same as the 05-09 gt as far as ive read over on s197 forum

The gen 1 Sport Trac was not available with a V8 and the Explorers that did have modular V8s from 2002 to 2004 used two-valve cylinder heads. Not sure how easy it would be to swap three-valve heads onto one of those blocks but I assume it can be done. Explorers prior to 2006 also had a different frame design from the gen 2 Sport Trac so they might also have different engine frame mounts although I assume the blocks would have the same engine mount bolt pattern but maybe not...

If the Explorer and Mustang both used aluminum blocks during that time period why not just use a Mustang block? Also, why not use a Mustang block from 2004 thru 2010 which would already be set up for three-valve heads? Three-valve heads also require a higher pressure oil pump to run the camshaft VVT. Will a three-valve oil pump bolt onto a two-valve block?

the mustang ran a iron block till 05. i was curious on the aluminum explorer block because i was hoping i wouldnt have to change mount locations. thinking im just gonna have to pay the money to get another explorer block o well lol.

I don't think you would..... Try looking up the parts on line and see if same part number

Todd Z