applying for my concealed license permit...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woppy V

Reaction score
So I signed up and am ready to roll. But my major concern is that after completion I have to have my finger prints digitally stored into the police/government database... not to happy about that idea. But after seven years of going to look at property in areas that are far from safe areas -- this has become a necessity!

Anyone else have a concealed permit? Does your state mandate finger print scanning as a requirement or is this just another one of Virginia's prerequisites?

For CCW in Ohio, a thumbprint scan is required. When I applied for a city job in the 70's, I had to submit a full set of prints. I doubt they ever got rid of those. Most likey they ould have been digitized over the years.

'07 ST:smile0005:

Texas requires fingerprints. It's just one way to make sure you don;'t have a criminal record. When getting a CHL you are basically carrying a card that says your are a clean, law abiding person.

JD,

Just curious, did you come to Utah and do the out of state license? I know a lot have done it because of the recipricating laws. I'm curious if there is a difference for in-state and out-of-state permits.

In-state has to take the CCW class (about 5 hour class), fingerprints, picture, background check, and application. Did you have to do anything different? Did you have to take the class in state?

David

NY all 10 fingers have to be printed... AND the prints are inspected for clarity before they are accepted...

Good luck, Let us know what you get....

Todd Z

[Broken External Image]:

For CCW in Ohio, a thumbprint scan is required.

My Dad has a CCW permit, but does not have fingers with prints anymore.

The Sherriff was able to issue a permit without finger prints.

Many government agencies have my prints on file. Some bad reasons and some good reasons.

Tom

CobraXP said
Just curious, did you come to Utah and do the out of state license? I know a lot have done it because of the recipricating laws. I'm curious if there is a difference for in-state and out-of-state permits.

In-state has to take the CCW class (about 5 hour class), fingerprints, picture, background check, and application. Did you have to do anything different? Did you have to take the class in state?

I took the class in San Diego, it was about 5 hours, plus range time if you didn't have proof of military or leo experience. The instructor had all the paperwork ready to go for both Utah and Florida for anyone interested and also finger printed us there. We had to fill out all the paperwork and mail it ourselves, but he had everything ready to go and was there to answer questions about the process. I want to say the class was about $200 and the Utah application fee was $80ish?

I didn't do the Florida one because it only added 2-3 states over the Utah permit and they were states I wouldn't be traveling. But if anyone is taking the class (Woppy) you might also check into filing paperwork with either of those states as they both issue non-resident permits and have pretty high reciprocity, I can carry in 28 states with my non-resident Utah permit.

oh i already own a Sig 45. but driving around with that on the seat isn't exactly the most inviting site when clients hope in the trac to go look at property... lol

I wonder if getting a CCW is similar to getting an FFL, gave mine up 20 yrs ago because having an FFL you forfit your search and siezure(SP)rights.

The BATF can come to your house or place of business at any time without warrant or cause.

that includes your car.

I can't get a CCW permit. But I can open carry all I want. Except in a vehicle. And the weapon must be cased and unloaded and the ammo stored in a separate place.

Woppy V:

I bought a DayPlanner type gun case. Anyone looking at it would never know.

The NRAstore.com has one for $39.95 (item #SA22207). Mine lookd a little better and doesn't have the NRA logo embossed on it but that one would do you fine.

Gary:banana:

Utah does require the fingerprint cards. They are required on NFA items also, so the CCW fingerprints was not a big deal to me.

JDBoxes said:
I took the class in San Diego, it was about 5 hours, plus range time if you didn't have proof of military or leo experience. The instructor had all the paperwork ready to go for both Utah and Florida for anyone interested and also finger printed us there. We had to fill out all the paperwork and mail it ourselves, but he had everything ready to go and was there to answer questions about the process. I want to say the class was about $200 and the Utah application fee was $80ish?

I didn't do the Florida one because it only added 2-3 states over the Utah permit and they were states I wouldn't be traveling. But if anyone is taking the class (Woppy) you might also check into filing paperwork with either of those states as they both issue non-resident permits and have pretty high reciprocity, I can carry in 28 states with my non-resident Utah permit.

Sounds about the same with the exception of the class costs. Mine was $50. Utah does not require range certification, but many of the instructors will want to see proficiency before signing off just because their name and certificates are looked at if you are involved in an incident and they can be held accountable. My wife and I took ours at a local range/store. I had been there a lot and knew the owner, so he signed off on mine without range time because of prior instances, but asked my wife to take a range round.

bill barber said:
I wonder if getting a CCW is similar to getting an FFL, gave mine up 20 yrs ago because having an FFL you forfit your search and siezure(SP)rights.

The BATF can come to your house or place of business at any time without warrant or cause.

that includes your car.

I can't speak for other state's, but I know Utah does not treat them the same as an FFL. Law Enforcement still has to follow all regulations before entering. The only different requirements I have seen in Utah over other states I have had a CCW in is that Utah requires you to show your CCW with your drivers license if you are pulled over or have any dealings with LE - no matter if a weapon is in the vehicle or on you at the time. Not a big deal, but something different.

I don't have my CCW yet because I am waiting until i turn the big 21 in 6 days. But my brother is taking his wife and brother in law friday and they are all gonna get theirs. He hasn't said anyhting about prints yet. I'll ask him after he gets back.

All 10 fingers scanned in NC. Don't know why I got the CCW though since I sold all my guns at the flea market. :smile0017:

Florida requires that you send them a finger print card from your local LEO department to keep on file. you only have to send it in with original application. Nothing stated about digital prints, but I am sure they probably scan them into some database as part of the background check they do.

a book planner gun case is rather brilliant. but I'm already signed up and figure it's best to get while i'm still willing to go thru the motions.