Apparently the end of ST production is now official

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another thing, a 6' bed means your friends will be calling you often.

Jerry A,

That is too true. I still get asked quite frequently, but depending on the friend I can get away with saying "ooooh thats too bad, I have a short box. I dont think I can be much help"

;) We all know the truth though.

Farewell ST...Can't wit to see what the Government ALLOWS for it's replacement... Short box indeed!!!!!

If the spy pics are true, Ford is working on a replacement for the Ranger. It remains to be seen if it is sold in the US, or if it is just for the foreign markets. I'd prefer to see a crew cab "Sport Trac" package based on the Ranger than a unibody Ridgeline type thing build on the forthcoming Explorer.

What happened to the '96 Adrenalin, damn that truck looks good. I had not seen that before. I really hate that the ST is going away, I love mine. I love the uniqueness about it along with all the frills. Just wish they had more goodies for the Gen 2. Guess I will hang on to mine longer than expected.

I've suprised myself with what I can fit in the STA. However, for stuff like standard sized sheets of plywood or sheet rock...it just doesn't work very well. The perfect solution is a trailer. I can tow 7000 pounds so why the heck not! Plus, I get another toy :)

Bring on a nice looking, four door, Ranger! I have yet to see what a 2012 Ranger may look like. Everything I've seen so far is just a chassis for testing with a random body (Mazda) thrown on.

Seems to me Ford will continue to miss two very important markets. They need two vehicles:

1. Small, cheap, rugged "work truck" that has 4 cylinder, hybrid, or plug-in electric power. Could have four doors. 4-6 foot bed. This would be a basic, cheap, but tough as nails little pickup- kind of like the early/mid 70s Datsun pickups.

2. A replacement for the Sport Trac. Upscale, loaded, capable, smaller than F150 vehicle that can be used off-road as well as on interstates. 4-6 foot bed. 2 and 4 doors. Luxury interior, stylish options for exterior. Wide price range, but more focusing on upper end. Economic drivetrain and performance drivetrain options. 2 and 4WD. Could have enclosed or open cargo area options. Towing options to 6000 trailer weight also important.

Until FOMOCO comes out with an official announcement, it ain't over 'til the Fat Lady sings. I don't hear her even starting to warm up.

Until FOMOCO comes out with an official announcement, it ain't over 'til the Fat Lady sings. I don't hear her even starting to warm up.

If Sport Trac has any faults, it's all because of it's the "Explorer" and "SUV" association. All of the negative press and "Tree-Huggers" were going after the large and mid-sized SUV's. Nobody is attacking conventional pickup trucks, either foreign or domestic, 2 door, extended cab or crew-cab is not a problem.

The Sport Trac shares a lot of common/similar parts with the Explorer, and when Ford decided to drop the Explorer because of all the criticisim it made it financially impractical to continue making the Sport Trac.

Perhaps someday Ford will drop the Ranger and come out with a new Sport Trac vehicle with similar styling features, when the "Explorer" reputation dies down in a few years.

...Rich

I haven't seen any pictures of a concept Ranger yet, all I've seen is cobbled together bodies hiding the ranger drivetrain.

I'm hoping for a diesel 4-door Ranger, then I'll trade. Until then I'm looking for a 64 impala wagon!

I haven't hear much of anything about Ford's diesel plans for the US market. I'd expect the next-gen Ranger to get a 4-cyl in the base models and the 4-cyl Ecoboost engine as an upgrade.

Latest posts