Apparently the end of ST production is now official

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bummer !!!

The 2012 Ford Ranger concept is fugly. This looks like something GM engineers designed.

This was expected, so I am not doubting the news report.

Of course, in 2003 ALL of the magazines and automobile news sources said the Sport Trac was ceasing production then.

Tom

Great, way to make my Monday start off right.:(

I quess I WILL be keeping the 05 forever, not that I am complaining, but watching the trac evolve has been fantastic, and wondering where it was going to go in the future was always interesting.

gonna miss you trac! Your my boy, blue!

Can't imagine a 50 mpg ST. IOW, a 4500 GVW "clunker"' as with many others.

Re-tooling not in the cards for Ford. With their huge investment in the "Fusion", a no brainer.

As expected, the S & P "predicts" the worst ever year for auto sales in '09.

As for 2010? Guess what? Your ST resale value went UP, again.

Last edited by a moderator:
This has been pretty much a done deal for over a year now. At Louisville last year, the Ford reps refused to discuss anything regarding the Sport Trac beyond 2010. Shortly after L'ville, Ford announced that LAP would be re-tooled to build the Focus and Fiesta after 2010. And when Ford announced that the Explorer was becoming a unibody CUV, that sealed it.

The 2012 Ford Ranger concept is fugly. This looks like something GM engineers designed.

That's most likely a highly camouflaged test mule. I doubt the production 2012 Ranger will look anything like that.

The Adrenalin name was formally attached to the Sport Trac in 2005 when the Ford Sport Trac Adrenalin concept debuted at the New York Auto Show. Buyers were finally able to get their hands on a Ford Sport Trac Adrenalin when a special appearance package with that name became available in 2008.

Wrong. The Adrenalin name has been associated with the Sport Trac since before 2005. If I remember correctly, the Adrenalin name was first used on production ST's in 2003 as the name for the top-end stereo package.

The Adrenalin name was then used again on Gen 1 ST's in 2004-2005, as the name for a package consisting of a 510-watt Pioneer stereo system, "Adrenalin" embossed headrests, chrome wheels, chrome side steps, and an "Adrenalin" badge on the tailgate.

I hope the new Ranger will come with the same level of goodies as the ST. Right now, it's a stripped-down utility vehicle.

Found this in the source article on Autonews.com:

Ford includes Sport Trac sales with the Explorer. Ford has said that the Sport Trac consistently sold about 60,000 vehicles annually. This year it's on pace to sell about 10,000 units.

That was 60,000/year with little to no advertising. Sad to see the sales numbers drop off so dramatically. Imagine how many would've been sold with a decent marketing/ad campaign. I wonder how many folks who bought F150's that didn't really need something that big would've opted for a Sport Trac if it was better advertised, and there were more available.

It seems to me that Ford gave up on the ST right around the time that the Gen 2 was released. Skipping a production year (2006) couldn't have been a good thing. People's attention spans are short, and not having a new product to sell in a model year isn't good. The piss-poor advertising for the Gen 2 seemed even worse than the dismal advertising for the Gen 1, and I've not seen near the amount of Gen 2 ST's on dealer lots as I did Gen 1 ST's. Seems like Ford just didn't produce/build Gen 2 ST's in quite the same quantities as Gen 1 ST's.:(

I hope the new Ranger will come with the same level of goodies as the ST. Right now, it's a stripped-down utility vehicle.

I doubt it. The Trac benefited by being built on the same line as Explorers, so that's why many of the "luxury" items found on the Ex were available on the Trac. That's also why a loaded Trac runs between $30-$40K. Heck, price out a loaded 2010 Trac, and you're over $40K on MSRP.

That's way out of the price market for the Ranger and it's competitors. Ranger sells well (even now) as it is. It would probably kill sales to equip/price it above the competition.

I've not seen near the amount of Gen 2 ST's on dealer lots as I did Gen 1 ST's.

I agree, except for the short period of time after the Adrenalin was released. You could always find a Limited or an Adrenalin on any of the lots here in London, ON.

I was talking to a salesman a couple weeks ago and he was asking how I like my truck (he had owned one previously and was selling me his bed extender). Well the answer to that question was obvious.

He said they are having difficulty keeping them on the lots as they are one of the best sellers. :huh:

and that's why its tough to find a Sport Trac on a dealership lot in London. Even the used STs (typically Gen 1's) are on the lot for less than a week - I know, I cruise through the lots frequently as something to do on Sunday's with a fresh Tim Horton's coffee ;)

That's way out of the price market for the Ranger and it's competitors. Ranger sells well (even now) as it is. It would probably kill sales to equip/price it above the competition.

I would love to see additional packages on the Ranger, much like they do for the F150.

That way, they could still have an affordable and rugged truck that will compete with most of the competitor's pricing, but then have additional packages (in limited numbers of course) so that one can have the luxury of the ST if they choose to pay for it.

TrainTrac said:

The Adrenalin name has been associated with the Sport Trac since before 2005. If I remember correctly, the Adrenalin name was first used on production ST's in 2003 as the name for the top-end stereo package.

That is correct, which just goes to show how much these automotive news writers know.

Yes, the demise of the Spot Trac has been predicted since way back in 2003 and has been predicted for nearly every year since then. I truely suspect that Ford will be dropping the Sport Trac line, and the 2010 model may very well be the last year, however I will not be convinced until Ford makes that formal announcement. Even then, they may retire the brand only to redesign, resize, and repackage the Sport Trac and bring it back a few years later in a more politically correct version.

...Rich

I have not seen much of the new ranger, so unsure as to the look. And as for that mule that we have seen, I am trying to picture it without all that stuff on it, since there is no way that would ever see the light of day in production. The designers are not so stupid that they would say that is appealing to the eye.

I think that is one of the major reasons most of us bought the trac, its overall apperance. Thats why I did. I saw one, and was hooked. Then after getting one and driving around, fell in love with just its overall handling, personality, usefulness, and yes, I even liked its performance both on and off road.

thats why I bought a second one, and absolutely love the new models. Very freaking cool looking.

If there is no longer a trac, and I need to buy another rig, then if the ranger is even close to the appearance of the trac, I will probably get one. I know I will be buying another Ford, thats for sure.

And Shaun, most people here are wondering whats so funny! My friends think I am a closet Canadian!

Now that I'm a home owner, I find myself wishing I had a 6' box often. Eventually I plan to buy a 6x12 trailer instead of trading again. I love my STA.

Carey,

Don't you have a bed extender? With that, I've not had too many situation where I've needed more length. I even once hauled two 2x10 planks home by sticking through the rear window down into front passenger floorboard.

I had two Rangers prior to this Sport Trac. I thought I'd miss the longer bed, but have found that I very rarely need it. When I do, my dad's got a trailer that I borrow.

Carey, same here. I have had several instances where the longer bed would have been a lot better, but not near enough for me to get rid of the trac. I went camping to the pot holes, if you check my files, you will see how stacked the trac was for a 3 day trip. Now, I am getting ready to go to Lake Chellan in WA for 5 days. I bought a bed extender becouse I know I am going to need the extra room.

One of the many factors for me buying my second trac, is that it fits in the garage! You buy anything longer, and it wont fit in the majority of garages (unless your custom home). I was looking at an F150 extended cab, but it was too long to fit in the garage, gas mileage wasn't as good, and it just didn't look as good as the Trac.

oh, and I am on house #2, and the trac is perfect for bringing home just about anything your willing to move yourself! I told the wife if I can't make it fit in the trac, were having it delivered. For the most part, it fit!

Another thing, a 6' bed means your friends will be calling you often. I helped some friends move rock, and they couldn't believe how good the truck worked. Most people don't realize just how effective our rigs are, so they don't call us to help them move! BONUS!

Latest posts