Anyone with an iPhone?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Schindler

1st Gen Owner
V6 Engine
Reaction score
I am seriously wanting an iPhone. I need to find out from security at work if I can have it at work with the camera removed. When I find out the answer, I might go for it.

My question is...

Does anyone use the Pandora app? I use it on my iPod Touch and love it. I am wondering how it works with AT&T's 3G network. How is your coverage? I hear lots of people complaining about AT&T's cell coverage, but personally I have never had an issue.

Your thoughts and recommendations.

A few "rules". I will not change carriers. No Verizon, no Sprint, Nextel, T-Mobile, etc. I refuse to pay $300.00 for a telephone. I can get an iPhone for $100.00. It can not have a camera and if it does, it needs to be removed and approved by security before I can use it at work.

Tom

I've had my iphone for a year. It's been great. I've used Pandora. It should work the same way as on the Touch. 3G coverage has been fine. I'm not a big fan of Pandora, having used it at work also (desktop pc). There's so much space for music, I'd rather use itunes and download to the phone, to listen to music. I also have a Touch and use it for music listening more than my iphone.

Formerly having Verizon (I liked the connection and service coverage better), AT&T coverage and connection has been good and I really wanted an iphone. An occasional dropped call, but there are always spots, especially up in the sticks where I live. I haven't looked into it but the I think all 2nd gen 3G\3GS iphone's have a camera. I don't know if there is a way to disable or delete the camera app and don't know that if you could whether that would be acceptable to said employer.

Don't know if the above was much help. Hope you can work out getting an iphone. :grin:

Joe,

Thanks for the input. I am wondering if I can us

There is a company that will remove the camera. They do not disable the app, they physically remove the camera.

Tome Pandora or iHeartradio while on the road. That would be like having satellite radio without the expense. :postwhore:

Tom

My company makes a great free app: Dragon Speech Recognition. You can use it to speak your emails and it types them out. Give it a shot...

I considered an Iphone, but with the extra cost for the data plan I choose the Samsung Mythic.

Almost an iphone, but less expensive, the data plan was an extra 10 bucks versus 30 per month per line. Got them Christmas, and everyone really likes them. Tried Pandora, wouldn't work, but I found Moodio which streams radio, scanners etc to the phone.

I showed it to a friend of mine, my sons Orthodontist and he was impressed with it, he has an iphone.

maybe something to consider, they soak you on data plans for smart phones.

With the competition, noone is complaining about cell phone rates?

but mention ATM Fees etc and people go balistic...Cell phone rates should have gone down more at this point in time...

Good points Bud. My hope is that when my plan expires, that there will be a Verizon based iphone, or a smartphone that rivals the iphone. I have until next April. A Verizon equivalent plan, including a discount available through my employer and I would be saving a bunch of change for sure. I too wish there were more competitive pricing plans. Hope my iphone battery makes it until my plan term ends, or that will be painful additional cost to deal with.

Number one requirement is that it DOES NOT have a camera or one that can be removed.

Tom

why not just get the itouch buddy?

you can get a different basic phone and have the itouch to do all your multimedia misc. tasks such as pandora

I have an iPod touch 32 GB. I also have a basic phone. I am missing connectivity after I leave a hotspot or work.

I never had a desire to get an iPhone UNTIL I got my iPad touch.

Tom

Here is a tear down guide for the iPhone...

And I found three company's that do the removal for $100.00. So it must be somewhat common of a request...

There is a company in Wisconson that does it for like $30.00. There is a market for "cool phones" without a camera.

Tom

I agree. Though the market is not HUGE by comparison to the normal market, there is an absolute application for "altered" phones...

Tome Pandora or iHeartradio while on the road. That would be like having satellite radio without the expense.

Probably not much help, but I stream pandora through my verizon droid to my car stereo via bluetooth, and I pretty much thinks its the bee knees. I love it. It saves me from having to download music or think of a song I want to hear, or listen to the same stuff over and over.

I have music saved on the droid but rarely use it. When I drive to class i listen to pandora on the radio, when I get there and walk the rest of the way I do pandora through my headphones.

Just saying, you can do this with the iphone and IMO its awesome

Gary,

What does your comment mean? It looks like the typical jibberish you post, but I am giving you the benefit of the doubt.

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
Caymen,

It's unfortunate you work in an establishment that can't trust you. They must also do a full-body, pat-down search as you enter and exit the premisis, right? If not, then I don't understand why the risk of a cellphone with a camera in it would be any more a threat than not doing a full search as you enter and leave their facilities. I've worked in places with such security. Never really did like it very much. I prefer to be given the benefit of the doubt that I won't steal anything or take sensitive materials. Yeah, I know...trust but verify. Still, it kind of sucks, IMHO, to being treated that way, but I understand the need for that type of security in certain situations.

Anyway,... make sure whatever place yanks or disables the camera chip for you can show that they don't void the warranty of the iPhone in the process...or at least understand if that is an issue going into the modification.

P.S., Caymen, did you ever consider putting a dollop of hot glue or similar material into the well of the camera lens of the iPhone? Seems to me that would disable it without having to crack it open, which might void the warranty.

TJR

It's unfortunate you work in an establishment that can't trust you. They must also do a full-body, pat-down search as you enter and exit the premisis, right? If not, then I don't understand why the risk of a cellphone with a camera in it would be any more a threat than not doing a full search as you enter and leave their facilities. I've worked in places with such security. Never really did like it very much. I prefer to be given the benefit of the doubt that I won't steal anything or take sensitive materials. Yeah, I know...trust but verify. Still, it kind of sucks, IMHO, to being treated that way, but I understand the need for that type of security in certain situations.

Without getting into specifics, Caymen's stated in the past that he works for an employer that I'm assuming is a Fed gov't contractor dealing with classified matters. As such, Caymen is required to hold a security clearance, and the facility in which he works is secure and highly classified. That's why he's not allowed to have a phone with a camera, or just a plain camera within his work spaces. Them's the rules when you work with classified material for the Fed gov't or a gov't contractor. I held a Top Secret security clearance for 20 years in the Navy as an Electronics Technician working in communication. I couldn never take a camera or any other type of recording device into my work spaces. To do so would result in loss of my clearance, and discipline under the UCMJ.

Not having those rules and taking those kinds of precautions is what enabled retired Navy CWO John Walker to sell a $h!tlo@d of classified material to the Soviets during the '70's and '80's.

TrainTrac,

I'm not debating the rules. I understand the need for the rules. I just don't understand why people can't be trusted anymore. What's the point of security clearences and such if people still can't be trusted. Also, if people can't be trusted, and people really want to steal sensitive materials, they will find a way, I'm afraid. Rules like these are "feel good." If someone wants and really needs to steal this stuff, they will find a way.

Anyway, another thought...

Companies that sell items related to security sell tamper-proof decals/tape. These materials are self-adhesive, and cannot be easily removed, and if they are removed they show clear indication of tampering. Maybe covering the lens of a smartphone's camera with such material would pass security muster.

TJR

Latest posts