Anyone know what our front axles are?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin McGowan

Reaction score
I saw Cayman and some others purchased powertrax for the rear.......but can you also get one for the front to make it a true 4x4? Does anyone know what the front axles are.......I saw Cayman said our rear axles are a 31 spline 8.8 axle........what about the fronts......i know they are cv's......but isnt there anything you can put in the front "chunk" to do this?

I believe some one said our front housings where a "Dana" style... Other then that I have no clue...

As far as making it a limited slip, THE st sucks to steer when in 4wd, I hate to see how bad it would be if all 4 wheels where locked. ALSO I bet you would break something in the drive line.

I know in the snow and in 4wd If i floor it, IT will spin all 4 tires, and i have just a LS in the rear..

Todd Z

Here is a post that talks about a front locker, I am not very good at links...here is a cut and paste from JohnyO.

"You do not have to change the gears to install a limited-slip. Powertrax is one of the best (also it's the only one available for the front), also a Detroit True-Trac which is basically the same as the Torsen that comes in FX4 Level II Rangers. A Sport Trac has a 31 spline 8.8" rear axle (some 8.8's are 28 spline and take a different unit).

I would not recommend a straight locker on a vehicle that is mostly street driven, especially if you get snow and ice.

While it's true that both wheels will spin with a L/S if both are on a slippery surface such as snow, I'd still rather have power going to two wheels instead of one and just steer it properly."

I have heard both 8.8" and Dana 35 up front. Haven't confirmed yet.

If you really want additional pull in the front, I'd suggest looking into an actuated locker (electric, cable or air) that is an open differential when not activated and essentially a straight axle when activated. This is the best of all - easy steering on street and better on ice when open, both front wheels driven when locked, at your choice.

Thanks JohnM, you beat me to it. Anyhow, the front axle is a Dana 35. Specially designed for IFS, so not all other Dana 35 parts will fit because the carrier inside is narrower. The rear is a 31 spline 8.8" Ford. I believe the F150 uses an 8.8" up front, this may be where the confusion is coming from.

A number of limited-slips and lockers are available for the 8.8" rear. For the Dana 35 front, the ONLY traction aid available is the Powertrax No-Slip. ARB, Eaton E-Locker, Detroit, none of them are made to fit the front of a late-model Ranger or Explorer. Now then, I have heard that Reider Racing can modify a Detroit True-Trac to fit for an extra charge but I cannot verify this. The True-Trac is basically the same as the Torsen that comes in the rear of the Ranger FX4 Level II, it's a gear drived limited-slip and ideal for front end application.

Some of the application charts will say that other units will fit the front of a late-model Ford D35, but trust me, they won't. Powertrax is the only game in town. Also, if you get this unit stick to 31" tires or you'll grenade front end parts in a hurry. If you use 32" or 33" tires, go way easy on the skinny pedal.

All that said, I've slogged through some bad stuff, hills, mud, etc, in my Ranger many times and the Trac twice with just a limited-slip rear and open front and never had a problem, except for that icy time when everybody needed winched anyway. I'm on a few other RBV sites and a moderator at one, where some folks are reeeeal hard-core off-roaders. (No offense. It takes all kinds.)

There is much info on the front Powertrax in The Thread That Would Not End at Explorerforums.com. Link-----V

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts