Anyone familiar with Seagull Acoustic Guitars?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Rampino

Reaction score
I just picked up a sweet sounding acoustic guitar. This was an early birthday present from my wife. I can't believe the sound that comes out of this without an amplifier. The seagulls are hand made in Canada with a cedar top giving it a distinctive sound. This guitar model is one of very few reasonably priced models still made in North America. I've always had electric guitars but now I think I'd like to "cut the cord", so to speak, and try some acoustic stuff

wait for it......

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
One of my friends mom's used to play one of those and I got to play it a few times. I remember it being surprisingly full sounding. I really liked it. I have a taylor 110 which is just an acoustic. Although the taylor is a "better" guitar, judging by reputation and its higher price, but I was more impressed with the seagull than I was with my taylor. I think you should be really happy with it.

Spruce is the generally prefered wood for guitar tops, and particularly old, slow growing spruce from the higher altitudes of the moutains. C F Martin uses only spruce from the Adirondac (sp?) mountains and the European Alps for their top of the line guitars. They also use some lesser grades of spruce for guitar tops primairly in the under $1000 models

IMO Cedar might be too soft and not as strong as spruce. The softer Cedar would probably give a more warm bass tone, but too mucn bass can/will overwhelm the volume of the high notes. The tone would depend upon the type and style of music you play.

I would also question the strength of the softer cedar wood. One of the hallmarks of C F Martin guitars is that there are so many of the old ones still around, still being played, and sound better than ever. We may need to wait 75 or 80 years before we know were Seagull guitars will be.

But, If you like it, that's all that matters. I have had a lot of guitars since I started playing at 9 years old and some of my favorites would be considered junk, but I learned a lot playing those inexspensive guitars. Each guitar was an upgrade from the previous and that's what keeps you going.

I'm sure you will enjoy it.

...Rich

Thanks for the input guys. I tried out a bunch of guitars in my price range and for me, nothing beat the Seagull. Would have liked a Taylor or a Martin, but I'll have to wait for my next upgrade. I'm aware of the cedar vs spruce properties, but I liked the sound. I'll just have to be careful in handling & caring for it. There were others in my price range, (Yamaha, Takamine, Fender, Ibanez, etc.), but they all were at the low end of the model spectrum when looking in the sub -$300 range.

Know squat about guitars, but just sold my wifes d18 martin, sat in our closet for 35 yrs.

Orig case and all paper work, her parents paid $256.00 for it in 1959.

wish I had somemore:)

I have an Alvarez Yari DY50 with a cedar top and mahogany sides that I bought in 1979 (handmade in a small Japanese shop). You do have to be a little more careful with the cedar, but it does hold up. The sound is a little more muted than a bright Taylor or Martin with a spruce top, but I happen to like it.

If it sounds good to you, then it probably matches your playing style, and that's 95% of it anyway...

Bill do you mind saying what you got for the d18. A martin guitar that old had to be worth more than its original retail price.

I have 2 Seagull acoustic guitars and have had them for years. Best sounding guitar for the price, absolutely without a doubt.

Highly, highly, highly recommend it.

Nice purchase.

Clay I got $2200.00 for the martin, only minor flaw was a small belt buckle scratch on the backside.

don't know if that was a good price or not, worked for us.

I don't have a Seagull, but have played them and like them. I think that Richard is right about the cedar being soft, but I personally am a fan of a very warm tone. Different brands do have different tones -- to me, the tone of a Taylor is is too bright. I tend to lean more toward the Martin tone.

I always tell people to not get stuck on a brand name or price. Concentrate on sound and how comfortable you are playing. I have a Martin, a Gretsch, a Schecter, and Two Yamaha's. The Martin was probably the most expensive one brand new (I bought most of them used), but I would probably say it is my 3rd favorite. My favorite is the Gretsch, then one of the Yamaha's.

Rocks

Right now I'm working on Pure Prairie League's "Amie". I've always played it on my Les Paul electric. I'm really liking the acoustic version on the Seagul.

Ask Caymen / Tom...He is "nown" to be a perfectionist in everything he does!!

PERFECT home...

PERFECT state....

PERFECT city......

PERFECT neighborhood.

PERFECT wife.....

PERFECT life.......

PERFECT Ford.....

PERFECT ASSHOLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Q out...

what kind of intake should i get?

should i get an exhaust?

dingo, your the best !!

should i lift my trac?

todd, where are you?

Ask Caymen / Tom already people!!!

He'll have a PERFECT answer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Q out...