anybody know what this is

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now its a very tiny picture but perhaps its a Tucker

edited to add photo:

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe this is it. Got that in an email last week ........ or I wouldn't have known. I may be old but not THAT old!!

From my link...........

Headlight in the center turns with the steering wheel...

There are a few known glitches with the car: The first is that the center headlight didn't work as well as predicted (this could have been corrected with a lens change),

Very good, the headlight does turn with the wheel! Now, there is another auto maker doing the same, cant remember who though. But they brag about how innovative it is. Whatever. Yes, first with seat belts, also first with mid mounted / rear mounted engine!

Mid-mounted engine just seems mighty inconvenient to me, but this Mr. Tucker sounds like the John Delorean of his day.

The tucker was the first to use the modern day safety glass also....

I think he also was the first to design a built in safty cage.

edit; the big three were the ones behind his demise....

More on the movie...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mL-AFSAIln0&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mL-AFSAIln0&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Preston Tucker included a lot of features in his car that were considered "innovative" for the era, many of them being new safety features. Among them are:

1. Seat belts

2. Safety glass

3. Padded dash

4. The perimeter frame surrounded the vehicle for crash protection.

5. The steering box was behind the front axle to protect the driver in a front-end accident.

6. "Cyclops" center-mounted headlight that turned with the steering.

Ideas that never made it off the drawing board:

1. Disc brakes

2. Magnesium wheels

3. A direct-drive torque converter transmission

The Big Three decided that it would be way to expensive to incorporate these features into their products to keep them competitive, so they basically ran him out of business by using political influence. Ironically enough, many of these features eventually found their way into other companies vehicles over the decades as consumer demand dictated.

Latest posts