Anybody herculine or bedline the inside of a 'trac?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Sayre

Reaction score
Maybe it's just bad truckma, but I've had multiple bad experiences involving milk in the truck over the past 2 years. Funny, my son happens to be 3 years old. Gee, no connection there. Since my truck is the morning breakfast location for the kiddies, milk spills aren't going away anytime soon. On multiple occasions now, large quantities of milk have leaked/spilled in the truck. When milk spills in small drops it's easy to clean up with leather seats. This last time it spilled on the leather seat, ran back towards the seat belt openings, and dripped off the back of the seat - right behind the end of the floor covering. It all pooled once again under the floor covering, under the seats where I can't get to it, but the smell sure can get out. Don't you love it when you come to realize that an unknown quantity of milk spilled 20 miles back, has crept under the plastic molding and pooled under the wires in the wire track? This last time I suspect t oozed even further under the floor covering.

I'm starting to think about this truck like my old '93 Ranger. I threw out it's carpeting many years before i sold it, never bothered to replace it. Now, with this truck, we're rapidly getting to the point where I don't want the floor liner at all. I'm considering pulling the seats, yanking out the floor covering crap, and herculining it. That way there is nothing for milk to get under, and cleanup is easy. Anybody do this? Any thoughts on the matter?

--Bob

Bob, I don't think anyone has done what you are thinking of doing. On that note, it's not impossible to do. Just would seem to me like alot less work just to keep the kids either from drinking back there (I know, I have 2 myself and that's not an option) or they can only drink out of spill-proof cups while back there. (it's what mine do) My opinion is, it would still be easier to just clean as you go, than to rip everything out a line it with that stuff. If you're up to it, then do it. It's not impossible to do. I lined my dad's truck bed for him and it really wasn't that hard to do.;)

I'm pretty sure several guys over on ExplorerForum.com have done it to regular Ex's, nothing really different about it.

The last 2 times were sippee cups. Sippee cups do leak when left upside down and covered by a sweatshirt. Yes, they leak out completely, too. Especially when the lid has been partially loosened by little hands. These were minor spills, but well placed. They dripped from the back of the seat, down just behind the end of the rubber floor mat, and soaked the foam padding beneath.

The one category 5 milk spill was not a sippee cup though, it was a full cup of chocolate milk from the resturant, with just a flimsy lid. The lid popped off as it went over, and about 12 oz filled the seat, the floor, under the front seats, everywhere. Within a moment you could see it swirling as it went under every edge and down below into the abyss. Yelling by my wife an I as we frantically looked for anything absorbent suprisingly didn't stop it's progress. The kids tried scream-crying and that didn't work either. Nothing to do except drive home at that point.

The gutting of the truck has started. This morning i opened up the nasty smelling truck again, and pulled back the rubber floor mat. The grey-backed padding below was black underneath, and the smell literally unbearable. Grabbed it with channel locks and yanked it out. It's about 10 or 12 inches wide, and runs across behind the back seat. It's now gone as of this morning at 8am. Further updates as the weekend progresses.

--Bob

ive done it. i used to work for ameriguard and we sprayed the inside of my friends trac. it was pricey but looked awesome when it was done. its doable, but i recommend doing it the right way if you are. its a tricky project!

Latest posts