Anybody Ever Run Nitrogen In Your Tires?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrainTrac

Reaction score
Getting ready to put new tires on my wife's Lincoln LS, and the installer offers nitrogen instead of air to inflate the tires. He gave me a brochure touting the positive aspects of of using nitrogen. It seems like a good thing to do, but I was wondering if anyone here has had experience with using it in their tires...

I know others will argue with me, but I think it is a waste of money. If you do even the most basic, routine inspections of the air pressure in your tires, there is no point in nitrogen. Personnally, I think it is a scam.

Rocks

The air around here is 80% nitrogen, so I figure I am already 80% of the way there, which is a "B" in school. Being a "B" student is good enough for me, so I am happy.

My after market tires have it in them, but I bought them from another member who had already had it in them. I plan on just having them checked and topped off when I go in for oil changes. I don't really have an opinion either way on them though.

Nitrogen is for consistent, dry, air pressure, with less effect on tire heat building air pressure. Unless your racing, I would not pay for it.

Those that have it will swear by it and claim it is the best thing since sliced bread. Those that haven't are skeptical. If you don't mind checking your pressure every now and then, then I say don't do it. If you have a newer car with tire pressure sensors I would get it. My wife's mountaineer was always having to go in for a top-off now and then in the cold months.

TJR

I do in fact have nitro. I have a shop and a compressor, etc, but I haven't had to do anything at all with them for 4 months so far. I've also noticed that the pressure remains completely constant, and that the gas milage is a little better, due to that fact.

One of the best $18 transactions I've ever had.

It's funny this was asked today because my wife and I were just discussing this last night. There is a new Performance Shop that opened in town and they offer Nitrogen tire fills and I was thinking of taking the Trac there. I see lots of goods and no drawbacks other than the costs. $16 for the fill of 4 tires though is not bad.

I know several people that use it in their race and track cars. Consistent tire pressures. However, what they say is the biggest benefit is there is no moisture getting added to the tire which can ruin expensive wheels over time. We're talking custom wheels that run 900.00-1000.00 a piece.

I think you hit the nail on the head Tommy, the bottom line is that there are no drawbacks (other than the cost) and like everything else in this world, nothing is FREE. In my opinion, for $16 you are getting maintenance free tires that will only require rotations and balance. If you live in an area where there are large temp swings between the seasons then I think it's worth it. Our average annual temp here in Texas goes from ~105F in the summer to ~30F in the winter which can mean tire pressure differences of up to ~10lbs.

Wrong Les, the compressor that compresses air does not run for FREE.:)

Edit: Exactly SST, I see we posted at the same time....

Last edited by a moderator:
The primary advantage to using compressed Nitrogen is that the molecules are larger and do not permiate through the rubber sidewalls as easily as compressed air. Compressed air will leak out of tires are rate of about 2 PSI per month, With Nitrogen, that may take a year or more to loose 2 PSI.

As for moisture causing wheel corrosion, I find that questionable? The moisture only causes rust or corrosion in the presents of oxygen. Compressed air contains oxygen and perhaps moisture (moisture can be filtered out) while nitrogen does not have either. But is this a serious problem for most passenger cars or pickup trucks???? I think not.

Nitrogen was used on airplane tires for years because it maintained pressure for longer periods of time, and perhaps reduces corrosion of the aluminum wheels. And yes, aluminum aircraft wheels are expensive....very expensive...probably one full size passenger jet wheel may cost as much as as set of more expensive custom wheels do for a car, perhaps even several cars. Also, the FAA is very stict on aircraft standards and corrosion that would be insignificant on a passenger car, would require replacement on an aircraft.

That is one of the reasons I don't feel using nitrogen in car tires is worth the expense.

I think Caymen uses nitrogen in several of his vehicles and his fathers Motorhome/RV I do then that it is worthwhile to use nitrogen in RV's, Buses, 18 wheelers and other large commercial vehicles.

...Rich

Lil Red, I don't pay for air, the compressor or the electricity to run it, so for me, air is free...

Richard L is correct about aircraft wheel cost but his estimate is way too low. On one popular Airforce fighter, Fxx, the main wheels are $9,2xx each, tires $5xx each. Nose gear wheel is $3,8xx, tire $2xx. In all, wheels and tires for this airplane cost more than most of our Tracs.

I know Dingo is running nitrogen in his tires.

Thats because of all the hot air coming out of other places !!!!! :lol::lol::lol:

Todd Z

I have nitrogen. Immediate and pronounced improvement in my opinion. Ride is significantly better. I didn't have any slow leaks before and I don't have any now. But nitrogen is supposed to prevent the smallest of leaks that allow your tires to loose air over time.

Latest posts