Any Way To Free Up Sticking Calliper?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zudnick

Reaction score
Hey,

I think I may have a brake calliper that is sticking a little bit…

I get quite a bit more brake dust on the front right wheel than I do on the left side. That makes me think I may have a calliper that’s sticking, right? Is there anyway to really tell if that’s the problem? And if that is the problem, how do I fix it (without just replacing the calliper)?

I also think that I may have a warped rotor or cupped tires on the front too… There is definitely a pulsing feeling noticed mainly when braking – although I think I can hear an oscillation noise at speed as well, so I’m not sure what the source of that is. I just changed out the OEM shocks (to Monroe Reflex) and rotated the tires last night, so we’ll see if that helps with the pulsing/oscillation.

By the way, it’s a 2004 4x4 XLT with about 60,000 kms on it. I feel fairly confident doing work on the truck myself as long as I have some decent instructions! I have a Haynes manual, and this website as my resources…

Thanks for the help.

Z

IT depends if it is just the slides sticking, OR the caliper pistons it self...

Remove the caliper and move the slides....

Since yours is an 04 the top slide has a rubber bushing in it and that may have swollen and causing it to stick..

IF the slided are not sticking, it is the pistons... IT is not worth the time to remove them clean and repair...

Just replace the caliper...

Todd Z

Hi Todd,

What part of the calliper is the slide? Can you describe what I'm looking for, or even better can you point me to a picture that shows this?

Thanks, I really appreciate the help.

Z