ANy way to "fake" a driving cycle?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Travis Munday

Reaction score
I just failed my emission test because the on board computer was "not ready" and that it needs to be rest via a driving cycle. The truck simply isn't driven a whole lot, so is there any way to fake a driving cycle? I reset the computer just before the testing by unhooking the battery. I previously had a CEL and loose fuel cap lights on, but I think I have fixed the problem causing those lights.

There is, and it involves starting the engine and revving it for so many minutes, then driving it a 55 for 5 minutes, then doing a bunch of other stuff. I do not remember the particulars, but maybe someone will chime in on this....

But if you reset the computer then it is not ready for an emissions test...

I think the cycle is starting and driving for a certain time, warming to operating temp and then shutting off....

I know when i re flashed my ST i drove it for 30 min, shut off re drove back and it passed..

I say jack up the back, start it and run it for 10 miles or so. Shut it off, let cool and repeat... You should be OK from there....

OR drive the crap out of it tonight where ever you can.

Todd Z

A driving cycle is 200 miles. What is happening is that the emission is getting a p1000 code, which means that the battery was unplugged. What Tiger has to do is if he is in GA or similer state is get a *2week* letter from the emission place to take to the tag office and the *2week* letter is what it implies, that he can drive the vehicle for up to 2 weeks to allow for a *driving cycle* then he gets a free retest then he will pass emissions....unless his truck is messed up then he will have to what emissions are required to get it to pass.

Have a good one

Bob

Or you could move to Oklahoma... we have no emissions tests or safety inspection. You only need liability insurance to buy a car tag.

Last month I had my first emmision test on my '04 ST. It came up with the same code, computer not ready. I bought it new and the battery has never been disconected. They had to do it the old way, with the probe in the tailpipe. It passed. I asked the guy why that happened. He said that happens with some Fords '04 and above. It has to do wit the new OBII diagnostics called "CAN". I thought it sounded hokey, but this was all they do all day long. This is in Texas...:huh:

Tiger, if you want to drive it a around for a couple of days, I've got a scanner that tells you if the computer is showing "ready" or not (as well as any OBDII codes). I'll be off during the day Wednesday thru Friday if you want to check it (or the scanner can be bought @ wally world for about $60-70 and up).

Jay-

I may just take you up on that offer, contact me via email for contact info. PTC isn't that far away, I think I need to go down that way anyhow.