Any Physical Therapy pros here?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LaRue,

I am not a PT pro, but I would not be too concerned. If the Dr. does not want you to rush into PT for 4 weeks, I'm sure he has his reasons. Don't worry the torture will start soon enough. :grin:

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
Aloha LaRue, I have as much experience as Richard L. but the hospital would have told you if you couldn't bend your knee. I think that your knee will let you know how much you can bend it.

Ed

Call the hospital and ask. My dad had knees replaced and they started PT the same afternoon after the surgery. He said it really hurt like hell, but he healed up real well and is doing great at 79 years old.

Another less happy story: A lady I work with: Her dad had a knee replaced and apparently was released from the hospital with no restrictions. Two days later he called her at work to tell her he was getting in his truck in the Lowe's parking lot and his knee had split wide open and blood was shooting everywhere. She told him to hang up, call 911, and she would meet him at the hospital. Apparently the staples and stitches ripped out- the flesh had not fused enough to be strong enough to use it much. They put him under and reset and resewed everything and kept him two more days.

I don't know what the answer is, but I sure would try to find someone to ask. You need to do what is needed (whatever that is). I hope you heal quickly and completely.

I'm not a doctor but I play one on the internet.

I'd follow the recommendations to a T.

Nurse here. Total knees MUST be bent and exercised to keep the tendons, ligaments, and muscles from weakening and/or stiffening up from disuse. The sooner the better. DO NOT stop using your new knee or be afraid that you may do yourself harm by using it.

Thanks Mark, They had to rebuild a tibial plateau fracture. Non weight bearing for 90 days I just wanted to know if I could move my knee a little before threapy starts next month. Not trying to walk on it or move it full range. .

[Broken External Image]:

I have 50% movement... The dr said I was healing faster than expected, I am scheduled to start putting pressure on my right leg in 2 weeks. I may be walking by Christmas.

LaRue,

It sounds like you are doing very well....I do know that once you get to walking, the doctor will want you to do a lot of walking...building up to 2-5 miles per day...That's in addition to the exercises you will need to do. Getting strength back in that knee is the key.

...Rich

I have worked in a physical therapy clinic, 2 orthopedic offices, and within a collegiate athletic department. - A tibial plateau fx takes time to heal. If you break your arm, you expect it to be casted for 4 -6 weeks. Range of motion (ROM) exercises - basic movement - are OK as long as they are done while you are not compressing the joint surfaces by placing any weight on the leg. The reason a tib plateau fx is problematic is that it disrupts the integrity of the articular (rubbing together) surface. Normally, when you walk, the femur and tibia have nice smooth surfaces that rub against each other. The fracture makes the surface less smooth. Until it heals and smooths over, this disruption is going to be painful. I fear I am not doing well at explaining this...I wish you the best. Please contact me directly if you need more info.

Latest posts